Re: [suse-mirror] Blogging about 11.3 launch - THANKS!
Hi all,

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 01:23:01PM +0200, Keld Simonsen wrote:
Personally I would like to exploit the use of bittorrent seeds hosted
by mirrors - maybe that would scale well, and give quite evenly spread
bandwidth use on the mirror infrastructure. Maybe gwdg.de can tell us more,
and
whether there could be some generalized way to do this in a distributed way.
And also about performance - I have had bad experience with a lot of HTTP
connections and therefore I redirected all .iso downloads to FTP.

Seeding via BitTorrent is something we at ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de are
doing for a long time now. With every single big release also
advertising BitTorrent - OpenSUSE and Ubuntu come to mind - we were able
to hit the limits of our line (1 GBit/sec in the past, 1,7 GBit/sec in
the meantime and 2 GBit/sec with OpenSUSE 11.3). With OpenSUSE 11.3 we
also added a few additional machines, each serving a single ISO file.
This resulted in about 3 GBit/sec just via BitTorrent at peaks.

With enough RAM, which should not be a problem for proper mirrors, the
CD/DVD files are cached and the random accesses caused by BitTorrent do
not harm at all. By referencing the very same file for HTTP, FTP and
BitTorrent you get BitTorrent "for free" (disregarding CPU usage).

However, if the mirror can only fit one or two DVDs into RAM, also
handling normal HTTP traffic accessing other files could really hurt
performance. Here, the disk subsystem is trashed with random read
accesses. In fact, we needed to put the image into RAM (using "cat")
before starting rtorrent, because it started seeding the uncached file
right from the start and was unresponsive because of that.

We made very good experiences with rtorrent. You may need to spawn
several instances for different files if you hit CPU limits, since
rtorrent is not multi threaded, yet.

Best regards,
--
Carsten Otto otto@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx