Re: [suse-mirror] Blogging about 11.3 launch - THANKS!
Hi Carlos,

On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 07:34:28 -0300, Carlos Carvalho wrote:
Eberhard Moenkeberg (emoenke@xxxxxxx) wrote on 16 July 2010 23:48:
>On Fri, 16 Jul 2010, Carlos Carvalho wrote:
>> Andreas Jaeger (aj@xxxxxxxxxx) wrote on 16 July 2010 21:59:
>
>> >You can just append "?mirrorlist" to a download link to see what
>> >mirrorbrain would do, e.g.:
>> >
>> >http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/11.3/iso/openSUSE-11.3-Addon-
>> >Lang-i586.iso?mirrorlist
>> >
>> >Looking at that one, I do not see your mirror at all right now - this is
>> >something we should investigate. Darix, could you do so, please?
>>
>> Forgot to say that our opensuse traffic dropped by approximately half
>> since May. And the proportion of traffic that goes abroad didn't
>> change. It could be that there are only half downloaders now but the
>> change is too abrupt for this to be the reason.
>
>My guess is mirrorbrain is working better then ever.

>At GWDG, I also have seen less traffic than before at release moments, but
>ftp5.gwdg.de had the first 6 hours 2 gbit/s full. Then it went down to 1
>gbit/s, and it is still there.

I've given 3 objective reasons for asking:
- Andreas says that we don't appear in the mirrorlist but we should;

Compare
http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/11.3/iso/openSUSE-11.3-Addon-Lang-i586.iso?mirrorlist&country=de
http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/11.3/iso/openSUSE-11.3-Addon-Lang-i586.iso?mirrorlist&country=br

Andreas does not see you in the mirrorlist because he looks from
Germany. You see your mirror because you look from Brazil. That's
because the mirror is configured to be eligible for clients from the
South American continent, not from other continents. There's a number of
countries that have sparse international connectivity, except to Germany
and the US maybe. The assumption is that they are better served by
sending them there then to Brazil. Even if your mirror generally has
good international connectivity. This doesn't necessarily affect
arbitrary client countries, because many are configured in a way which
makes sense for them. It affects clients that cannot be geolocated,
which are unknown to GeoIP or connected via Satellite link. Without any
geolocation, it is hard to redirect to a useful mirror [*].

[*] Maybe such clients should always be sent to the US or Germany,
instead of picking a mirror from anywhere (random from the world map).
An improvement in MirrorBrain would not be hard and a contribution would
be most welcome.

Anyhow, this is all about an edge case, and nothing that steals you any
significant traffic. Just the odd client that might find its way to your
mirror from far away. Either way, you get no requests from US or German
clients, just as US mirrors don't get requests from German clients, and
so on. As long as there is at least one German mirror, that is ;-)

- traffic has dropped here not only during releases but all the time.
As I said, a 40% reduction since May;

No idea what could cause that.

Peter
< Previous Next >