Re: [suse-mirror] Blogging about 11.3 launch - THANKS!
Peter

On Sat, Jul 17, 2010 at 12:50:12 +0200, Keld Simonsen wrote:
On Sat, Jul 17, 2010 at 10:03:06AM +0200, Marcus Meissner wrote:
On Sat, Jul 17, 2010 at 09:51:54AM +0200, Keld Simonsen wrote:
On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 11:14:36PM +0200, Eberhard Moenkeberg wrote:
Hi,

On Fri, 16 Jul 2010, Carsten Otto wrote:
On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 05:18:12PM +0200, Andreas Jaeger wrote:

I'm blogging about the launch and will publish my article later
today. The
current version is here:
http://pastie.org/private/orcmz76zjcybhy0tdki6ea

If you have anything to share regarding bandwidth/download numbers,
please
tell me.

My case is that it seemed like all traffic was directed to the novell
site,
with a prio of 500, outweighting our 1 gbit/s site prio of 100.
there were some downloads but not that much. The irony was that our site
at
ftp.klid.dk was about 10 times as fast as the novell site.

maybe the novell site also took over quite some traffic in other
countries.

cdn.novell.com is actually Akamai.

yes, that is understood. So they should have bandwidth. But it seems like
Akamai does not perform nearly as good as some of the volunteer mirrors.

Indeed, that's what I observed at previous openSUSE release. Akamai
seems to invest precisely only as much bandwidth as is needed to keep
people marginally happy (and their service certainly works), but they
won't make people as happy as a network of fast mirrors do.

So during the first day, many users have to download from "decently
performing" Akamai network, while they certainly could get stuff faster
from a mirror. But then again, it's probably still fast enough for most
people that they don't bother too much.

Anyway what will a prio of 500 meqan compared to a prio of 100+
Would it mean that in a round-robin queue that the 500 prio
site would be chosen 5 times as frequently as a 100 prio site?
(500/100 = 5).

It's not a linear relationship, and it depends on the rest of the
mirrors that are selected for a client. 500/100 would roughly be the
result in your case, if you are the only Danish mirror and there is one
other (with prio 500). The higher the prio, the more requests get
assigned to a mirror.

Peter
< Previous Next >
List Navigation