Re: [suse-mirror] Blogging about 11.3 launch - THANKS!
Eberhard Moenkeberg (emoenke@xxxxxxx) wrote on 16 July 2010 23:48:
On Fri, 16 Jul 2010, Carlos Carvalho wrote:
Andreas Jaeger (aj@xxxxxxxxxx) wrote on 16 July 2010 21:59:

You can just append "?mirrorlist" to a download link to see what
mirrorbrain would do, e.g.:

http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/11.3/iso/openSUSE-11.3-Addon-
Lang-i586.iso?mirrorlist

Looking at that one, I do not see your mirror at all right now - this is
something we should investigate. Darix, could you do so, please?

Forgot to say that our opensuse traffic dropped by approximately half
since May. And the proportion of traffic that goes abroad didn't
change. It could be that there are only half downloaders now but the
change is too abrupt for this to be the reason.

My guess is mirrorbrain is working better then ever.

At GWDG, I also have seen less traffic than before at release moments, but
ftp5.gwdg.de had the first 6 hours 2 gbit/s full. Then it went down to 1
gbit/s, and it is still there.

I've given 3 objective reasons for asking:
- Andreas says that we don't appear in the mirrorlist but we should;
- traffic has dropped here not only during releases but all the time.
As I said, a 40% reduction since May;
- it should not be because there are more mirrors around, because
mirrorbrain doesn't show any from our side. There is a new one in
Argentina but not in Brazil, and our stats show that the proportion
of traffic going abroad didn't change. This means that Brazilian
traffic dropped in the same proportion without any new mirror.

It could be that there are less downloads of opensuse now from Brazil.
Novell people can compare the mirrorbrain stats of the last 3 months
to see if it's true. I find it unlikely. The other possibility is that
downloads from here are being sent to other mirrors, which they
shouldn't.