[suse-mirror] Saying Good Bye!
Dear mirror admins,

after 9 years with SUSE/Novell, nearly three of them dealing with the
mirror ecosystem, I decided to leave the company. Thus, I'll no longer
deal with openSUSE mirror issues in the future, and I would like to say
good bye to you -- and thank you.

I am pretty sure we will stay connected, not only through some of the
other "big" mirror communities, but also here at openSUSE. I don't know
yet what I'm up to (thinking about going back to my old profession,
medicine), but I still have plans (and hopefully rainy leisure time) to
continue furthering the MirrorBrain project (and I'll stay subscribed
here).

Since quite some time, I had a goal that I didn't mention here yet. I
have always wanted to establish a forum for the purpose of discussing
mirror issues that concern *not* only openSUSE. A mailing list exists,
discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, to serve as a "list that can be used to meet
other mirror admins, as well as content providers - and share ideas,
insights, and discuss how we want to use mirrors in the future."

I strongly believe that the distribution of open source software through
voluntary mirrors should be brought onto the next level, and as the
first step I see creating a forum that is not bound to *one* project.
(Neither to MirrorBrain or a single framework for distributing content.)
Most of you will be subscribed to the mirror mailing lists of other
content providers, and you might have noticed the same duplication of
thoughts, work and effort, as I did.

I never really found the time to push this idea much, but that's why I
mention it now. I half-heartedly attempted to spread the idea with a
talk on FOSDEM 2009 (which you could find archived/linked at
http://mirrorbrain.org/presentations/) but there remains much to be
said. I intended to approach you personally to invite you to the list,
but for now I'll just let you know that you can subscribe by sending
mail containing the word "subscribe" to discuss-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

So, thank you so much for all the work, for your continued, excellent
(and for Open Source absolutely essential) contribution, and the
professionalism that makes working with you so enjoyable. I learnt a
lot. You are magnificent!

Peter
--
Ars longa, vita brevis, occasio praeceps, experimentum periculosum, iudicium
difficile. -Hippocrates (c. 400BC)