Re: [heroes] status.opensuse.org
  • From: Knurpht - Gertjan Lettink <knurpht@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2017 23:00:59 +0200
Op donderdag 31 augustus 2017 22:42:06 CEST schreef Christian Boltz:
Hello,

Am Donnerstag, 31. August 2017 schrieb Knurpht - Gertjan Lettink:
Today I've been getting a lot of http 503 errors, sometimes the real
503 html page. Yet status.o.o shows all systems are operational. Bug
or a matter of polling intervals ?

That's easy to explain - status.opensuse.org is not automated (yet?),
which means someone has to login and mark a service as down/broken/
whatever.

Then we ( the community ) IMHO never should have propagated it as being some
page people can refer to when in doubt of our services. And we have done so,
through news.o.o, through social media. Haven't seen anything on the ML, but
some dutch users already pointed out to this. IMHO we should not let stuff go
"viral" that's not true/working/showing how it really is. This page should be
accurately telling users/devs what the state of the infrastructure is.
Is this something that's still waiting for people to take care of it, could
salt take care of this ( can't imagine it can't ).

Again IMHO, this should be one of the pages users should be able to rely on. A
page with train delays that are only updated two days after the delay is of no
use for travellers,

Can any of you tell me if this could be properly automated?

Beware: absolutely no intent to rant, more trying to press on the importance
of such a page and the reliability it should have. Imagine SUSE telling
CityGroup they're OK, whilst they're not. So, a serious issue,.

I'd call it a bug in the admins ;-) if they don't mark a service as
broken when it's broken - but as every manual thing, this is something
you can easily forget when you are busy with fixing the systems.

If in doubt, join #opensuse-admin - and if 20 users ask if "$service is
down" is a known issue, an admin might be annoyed enough to update
status.o.o *eg*

I've noticed this before when the forums were down.

The forums are (AFAIK) still running in Provo, which makes things
slightly more interesting ;-)

Salt, dear Christian ......

Regards,

Christian Boltz