in the so far final meeting yesterday (about half of the YaST
Team participated) concerning storage wizards we agreed on the
- We want a wizard to create a RAID where the user selects disks,
in general partitionables, and provides a size (either max,
size of resulting RAID or size of partition. YaST then creates
partitions on the disks. Otherwise the wizard is like the
existing one (e.g. select RAID level, optional RAID name).
We do not want to use pools of disks for this.
- In general we also want such wizards to create a bcache or LVM
volume group. But the concept here is not so clear so this will
happen later. We also want to wait for feedback about the RAID
- Although likely not a new wizard as such we also want during
installation the possibility to generate a storage proposal
from the expert partitioner.
This should allow the user:
- Fine control over removing things before generating the
- Create things differently that the proposal does, e.g. LVM
logical volume for /, which the proposal then keeps/uses.
Some additional UI improvements:
- When removing a RAID the user should get the option to also
remove the partitions the RAID uses. This should also be
possible for bcache and LVM.
- Since wizards make big changes to the graph of devices, some
undo mechanism should be provided. One idea is to always save
the state before starting an action/dialog/wizard from the main
dialog of the expert partitioner.
Arvin Schnell, <aschnell(a)suse.com>
Senior Software Engineer, Research & Development
SUSE Software Solutions Germany GmbH
(HRB 36809, AG Nürnberg)
Geschäftsführer: Felix Imendörffer
To unsubscribe, e-mail: yast-devel+unsubscribe(a)opensuse.org
To contact the owner, e-mail: yast-devel+owner(a)opensuse.org