There were some comments earlier today on the suse-linux list about the upgrade to Evolution (1.3.92) that is available from usr-local-bin. (BTW thanks James)
I could not resist after hearing about it, so I installed Evo 1.3.92 on my copy of SuSE 8.2 and have quickly noticed the following: - speed on my system (AMD 1800; KDE 3.1.2 and the latest QT fix) is very similar to the Evo 1.2.4 that was replaced. The new Evo may be a little more responsive, but it is definitely not slower.
- fonts are MUCH CLEANER.
- the overall visual display is a little cleaner with many small improvements.
- Calendar appears to be non-functioning. This is a big downer. When I click on Summary my upcoming appointments are shown, but when I click on Calendar (day, week or month) there is nothing shown. Is something missing in the usr-local-bin version?
- Contacts has an almost big improvement in the handling of web pages and then a corresponding glitch. Contacts used to merely record the web pages but to go to a web page you would need to copy the web address to your browser. With Evo 1.3.92 there is a button next to the web address in the contact editor that if clicked brings up Moz with the web page. This is a nice feature, the problem is that none of the web pages that I had recorded in Evo 1.2.4 have been saved to Evo 1.3.92. Further, if a manually add a web address in the contact editor and then save the new contact information the web is not saved in the contact editor.
- in Contact information I had extensively modified the Categories to be able to sort my contacts on such things as my contacts my wife's contacts company contacts company shareholders company suppliers etc. these categories are lost on the upgrade from 1.2.4
- the keyboard shortcut that I use the most in reading email is no longer working. The shortcut is that new mail is sorted as most recent at the bottom and then when I read mail I can either type "]" which keeps the email that was read and then brings up the next unread email OR I would click "delete" and the read email was deleted and the next unread email is viewed. For un-kept email the second option allowed me to do 2 actions with 1 keystroke (delete and view next message). This no longer works with 1.3.92.
Overall and visually I like where Evo is headed with the next upgrade. On the practical side there are too many glitches for me to use 1.3.92 in a working environment. This is after about one-half hour with the new Evo. Rather than tweaking and trying to fix I will be moving back to Evo 1.2.4
- Calendar appears to be non-functioning. This is a big downer. When I
click on Summary my upcoming appointments are shown, but when I click on Calendar (day, week or month) there is nothing shown. Is something missing in the usr-local-bin version?
I'd not noticed this - the Calendar works fine for me at work, but I don't use it at home (because I don't have a cradle to sync my Palm at home), but it does the same for me at home when I just tested it.
I tried it on a new user with no previous Evolution settings, and the calendar worked fine, and it works fine for my wife on our home machines, where she had used it before under 1.2.x.
I guess the best thing to do would be for you to submit it to bugzilla.ximian.com