Hi sparrox, thanks very much for your help!!!! I
managed to track down
some drivers for the promise raid controller for my P4c8---E dlx on the
internet that are compiled for 8.2 (or so it appears.) Hopefully it will
Where ? Where ? I am really interested by having drivers for SuSE 8.2 ;-)
work staright that way...... If I find them to work,
and use them
during installation, do you think it is better to setup linux on one
disk first and then cretae the Raid 1 array?
As far as I am concerned, I would create the mirror before the installation,
but I think that it is no very important...
Thank you very much for your help!
This is my procedure to install SuSE 8.2 on the P4C800 motherboard:
1) Plug your first hard disk on the IDE controller
2) Install SuSE 8.2 (without taking care of the RAID)
3) When the installation is finished, boot on your new system
3) Unfortunately, there are no drivers for the kernel of SuSE 8.2, so
download and install the kernel of SuSE 8.1:
# rpm -e k_smp (delete the current kernel)
# rpm -ivh k_smp-2.4.19-105.i586.rpm
# rpm -ivh kernel-source-2.4.19.SuSE-69.i586.rpm
# lilo (I don't know very well Grub, so I installed Lilo)
4) download Promise drivers on Asus website
5) Install Promise drivers:
# unzip drivers.zip
# cd Linux/SuSE8xV1.00.0.13/
# sh install
Edit /etc/sysconfig/kernel and add, in the INITRD_MODULES variable, the
following modules: "ft3xx sg st sr_mod".
At the end, I had: INITRD_MODULES="ataraid reiserfs ft3xx sg st sr_mod"
6) Edit /etc/fstab, and replace /dev/hda by /dev/sda
7) Shutdown your machine, plug your first and second HD on the raid
8) Boot and enter in the bios of the raid chip :
build your mirror
9) When the mirror is built, the machine reboot and you should see
enter the following option in the command line :
root=/dev/sdaX (where X
the number of your root partition)
10) After the boot, launch again the command "lilo" to fix the boot
11) On the next reboot, it should be OK.
I'm not really happy because I had to install the kernel of SuSE 8.1,
>didn't found another solution...