12.1-Beta is approaching (as Factory Build0315). Tests on openQA.o.o showed most things OK. Worst are maybe observed LiveCD/LiveUSB hangups on heavy writing (e.g. installing rpms) which might be a clicfs bug. And on my desktop firefox&thunderbird work, but complain about missing dbus, even though I see two dbus-daemon processes running.
Ciao Bernhard M.
-------- Original Message -------- Subject: [opensuse-project] ANNOUNCE: I call it a beta Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2011 22:22:53 +0200 From: Stephan Kulow email@example.com To: firstname.lastname@example.org
We had a short go/no-go meeting on #opensuse-factory and decided that the fuser problem may be the cause of all evil and now that it's gone, we can go forward and release beta1.
We even managed to get most of the artwork updated in the days slippage. If you come around it, I will upload build315 to the mirrors tomorrow morning.
When to announce publically I leave to the marketing guys, I'll be mainly off the internet till tuesday as monday is public holiday for me and I'm told publishing news on friday is bad - but I'll make sure the ISOs are available for interested testers. I hope that's ok for the team.
Now the interesting question is what about the RC1. We didn't really loose time in development as we checked in almost everything that came in during the time we waited for the fixes - this includes e.g. kernel 3.1rc7. But we can't hold the schedule as it is - the original deadline for RC1 checkins is october 7th - that's around 4 days after public announcment of the beta and even before the pizza party.
With the new factory work flow we have some more flexibility in terms of checkin deadlines, so let's make use of that. My proposal would be:
Move RC1 from October 13th to 21st for release date - checkin deadline would be 18th.
Move RC2 from October 27th to November 3th - checkin deadline would be October 28th (November 1st and the monday in front are blackout in Nuremberg and we rely too much on Nuremberg to move the date where it's perfect ;( )
Move Final release from November 11th (who set that date anyway? :) to November 16th. GM would be on 11th.
Note, that I don't want to move the final date too much and if we all agree to some discipline, RC2 will already be perfect and we only apply some polishing up to GM. I know that shuffles our usual weekdays for release a bit and I'm pretty sure I made some mistakes in my proposal, so please feel free to give ideas of yours.