As part of improvements to download.opensuse.org
experience, currently new pilot service
is available for using with zypper.
Its primary task is to redirect zypper requests to a mirror in client's country,
similar to what MirrorBrain project does.
You can try to replace in /etc/zypp/repos.d/*.repo
Since it is still a pilot, the service comes without any guarantee or obligations.
Reasons when you may want to try it:
- you want to stick to https connection (mirrorcache will try to find a mirror in your
country, which supports https, if available).
- you are on ipv4-only or ipv6-only connection (mirrorcache will try to find a mirror
which supports ipv4 or ipv6, depending on the request's connection);
- in case when download.opensuse.org
(d.o.o) is temporary unavailable;
- redirection from d.o.o leads to a mirror, which actually doesn't have the requested
file (it is rare, but can happen);
- you want to try hosting own mirrorcache instance at your physical location and enjoy
fast and reliable redirection. (with very modest disk space / HW requirements).
- you want to help with improving d.o.o experience and provide feedback;
- you are interested in mirror management, for which admin's UI is available, and
non-admin UI is planned (so a user can add and manage own mirror without global admin
(login using UI menu and ask me for admin rights if you want to use it or see more
advanced controls, like job details).
- you need some related functionality: it is possible that it can be easily achievable
Further read about differences from MirrorBrain:
How caching works:
- caching happens on folder level, so e.g., when zypper tries to access file, unknown for
mirrorcache - it will be redirected to d.o.o, then a background job will collect info
about mirrors. Thereafter further requests to the same folder will be properly redirected
to a mirror in the client's country, honoring http/https scheme and ipv4/ipv6
- requests to remodata/repomd.xml is not cached, so zypper always gets the latest version
If you are interested in current source code
(most of architecture is stolen from OpenQA):
In case of questions or any feedback do not hesitate to contact me.
Andrii Nikitin <andrii.nikitin(a)suse.com>
DevOPS Automation and Build Service Engineer
SUSE Software Solutions Germany GmbH
(HRB 247165, AG München)
Managing Director: Felix Imendörffer