On 6 January 2016 at 12:07, Per Jessen email@example.com wrote:
Judging by https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board_meeting, the board stopped meeting in March last year, and no minutes were posted from that last irc meeting. Apparently a face-to-face meeting took place on March 28 & 29, but I see no minutes nor a report from that either.
In May 2015, Bruno Friedmann then quietly announced:
"To be precise, the meeting on irc, is no more automatic. It's on demand when the need and the actors are there."
Really, no board meetings since March last year?
Per you are conflating two different things
Bruno's announcement ( http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-project/2015-05/msg00470.html ) was regarding openSUSE _PROJECT_ meetings - which were the regular IRC meetings for the entire Project to discuss topics
Over the months before March 2015, many of these meetings rarely saw any attendees (besides the Board), and so the Board decided that we'd only have those IRC Project meetings 'on demand'
The process for requesting an IRC Project Meeting is quite simple - an email to this list to the tone of 'Hey, we have X to discuss, lets have an IRC meeting about it at Date/Time FOO' is all that's required
On the otherhand, Board meetings have been continuing every 2 weeks on a Monday at 3PM Berlin Time
These Board meetings take place in a conference call system until very recently - in the last meeting (15/12/2015) we experimented with using Google hangouts instead
We have been very lax at posting the minutes of these meetings to firstname.lastname@example.org or the wiki - for that I apologise. As the Board is doing more and more these days, the old process (have meeting via phone, have someone write minutes, collate minutes and post) is struggling, and one thing I will be bringing as a discussion point to the new Board, once it's elected, is improving on the process so it's a lot easier for everyone to know what the Board is upto. One thing I want the next Board to consider for example is possibly recording the Google hangouts, so we can post them somewhere for people to directly see what goes on during those meetings (of course, there would need to be some way of handling the private issues which the Board still has to deal with...I don't have the answers, I just know this is a topic we need to discuss)
Hearing what the community would like to see in terms of reporting from the Board would also be helpful - there is a lot that we discuss which I think would ultimately bore people..we don't want to overburden people with endless noise, part of the reason the Board is dealing with such stuff is so everyone else doesn't have to :)
Rather than dig through a whole bunch of emails, I'm going to selectively go through the minutes that I do have to hand and summarise what we've been upto since March below
March - dominated by the annual Board Face to Face meeting at SUSE HQ in Nuremberg. - Meeting included a "Meet the Board" session with SUSE employees. Topics discussed included * The openSUSE Project is more than "just a distribution" but home to a number of tools for distribution builders, developers & admins * openSUSE needs to define its target audience and market itself - "pick a fight and fight it" * Improvement needed in the definition and public understanding of the roles and responsibilities of Package and Project Maintainers - Discussion of the Boards 'Vision' for the Project, which was publically discussed on stage at oSC 15 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMWvY9PNwBE - Membership - Board agreed the Membership Program is in need of reform, the membership list includes many inactive individuals, that it is currently impossible to accurately measure the activity of our current core contributors. An action item was given for Michal to develop a tool to help identify member activity as a starting point for tidying up the inactive list. Board agreed that no Member should be removed if they still wanted to be a member, even if inactive. ie. “You're an openSUSE Member for as long as you're interested enough to stay one” - TSP - Discussion about improving the guidelines for the TSP, feedback given to the TSP team - Event Sponsorship - Event sponsorship continues to be a success, gaining openSUSE mindshare and new contributors. The Board thinks it only makes sense for openSUSEto Sponsor events openSUSE can attend. Emphasis should be given to events that are aligned with the newly defined Vision/Audience. Draft list put together with Douglas DeMaio - Foundation Sponsorship - As with events, the Board believes openSUSE should only sponsor other organisations when there is a tangible benefit to the openSUSE Project. Current agreements would be reviewed to ensure they met this simple criteria, future sponsorships would have to meet that criteria. - oSC 15 - Lots of discussion about the planning and preparation for oSC 15 - oSC 16 - the Board discussed the proposal to have oSC 16 in Nuremberg - openSUSE Asia 2015 - Board agreed that it should happen and assisted the team with the Call for Locations - IRC Project Meetings - Board decided that due to lack of interest, IRC Project Meetings would only happen 'on demand' from now on - Mailing Lists - Board reviewed the list of mailinglists and identified a number of inactive ones which were approved for deletion - Change Guidelines - previously proposed Guidelines for how to request, discuss, and implement major changes were approved - openSUSE Shop - Board approved proposed changes to http://shop.opensuse.org - Progress - Board agreed to start using progress.opensuse.org more to better track what they are upto (*Comment: The fact I'm having to write this email kind of proves this didn't work out as well as intended*) - Annual Report - it was decided that Richard would write an annual report for the community (This was effectively replaced by my talk about what we now know as Leap, the Board keynote, and the Board project meeting at oSC 15, all of which were recorded and posted on YouTube)
April - Lots of discussion surrounding what since became 'Leap' (at that time being referred to as 'Cornerstone' which was SUSE's draft internal name for the opening of the SLE sources). Decision made to open the conversation at oSC, with Richard doing it because it's dependant on SUSE's opening of SLE's codebase. - Assisting with the coordination and content of the new www.opensuse.org website. Board got involved with the sysadmins responsible to help actually get it deployed - TSP discussions regarding guidelines proposed after F2F meeting - Lots of followup to various topics from F2F meeting - Lots of discussion, assistance, and coordination regarding oSC 15
May - oSC 15 happened, leading to lots of follow-up discussions regarding the topics started there - Some topics regarding the SUSE/openSUSE collaboration that would be required in order to turn what we now know as Leap into a success - Board decided the naming and numbering of Leap in response to community requests - openSUSE Asia location discussions
June - openSUSE Membership tidy up was discussed at length both in opensuse-project and in Board meetings - More openSUSE Asia discussions, budget considerations, final decision made
July - Discussions about having another 'mini-summit' at SCaLE in 2016 - decision made not to have one, but to treat SCaLE as a very important event for openSUSE, like FOSDEM
August-Sept - bit of a quiet time for the Board actually, lots of vacations caused the cancellation of meetings, and most meetings that did happen didn't discuss anything more than the current status of the impending Leap 42.1 release and minor issues arising from that
October - Planning for this december Board election - Seeking Election Committee - Discussion about the join SUSE/openSUSE presence at LinuxCon europe and how it seemed to be very beneficial for openSUSE, lots of attention for Leap, Tumbleweed, and openQA - Board would like to see such an approach used more often - SUSEcon preparation - openSUSE Asia, decision to send Michal as the official Board member/keynote speaker - Discussion regarding about concerns regarding certain individuals in mailinglists
November - some meetings disrupted by SUSEcon and openSUSE Asia. Had an 'unofficial' Face to Face meeting at SUSEcon (minus Michal) - Poking about the inactive member tidy up - Preparation for elections - More discussion about concerns regarding certain individuals in mailinglists
December - one meeting cancelled due to technical reasons, other because of Christmas - More discussions about mailinglist moderation - oSC 16 discussions (time, date, location in Nuremberg) with the oSC 16 team