our next meeting will be tomorrow (2023-06-01) at 18:00 UTC / 20:00
CEST in https://meet.opensuse.org/heroes
Some of us met at the openSUSE Conference, and it was really great to
meet in person. Nevertheless, I'm quite sure we have a few topics left
for tomorrow ;-) and maybe also those who couldn't make it to the
conference can join tomorrow.
The usual meeting ticket is at
Registrierter Linux-Nutzer #239431
Linux is like a wigwam:
no gates, no windows, but an apache inside.
not sure if this is the right place (mirror infrastructure) or if this is more
Does anyone else have intermittent errors during zypper refresh on Tumbleweed
for OBS repositories?
I get frequent errors on things like home:- or devel: repositories, but not for
the official ones (repo-oss, etc.).
Today it is this one, yesterday it worked fine (and obviously I have not touched
the repository definition...):
> Repository 'home:ojkastl_buildservice:Branch_devel_languages_python (openSUSE_Tumbleweed)' is invalid.
> [home_ojkastl_buildservice_Branch_devel_languages_python|https://download.op…] Valid metadata not found at specified URL
> - File './repodata/60ba22ec747d611ec177fb9b353884070f194be3a1e329067a278c850ab9d107d6e06588fa75d0cf633d7ef214e891ebc1b534847f886465005b5f0266f721c9-filelists-ext.xml.gz' not found on medium 'https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/ojkastl_buildservice:/Bran…'
> - Can't provide ./repodata/60ba22ec747d611ec177fb9b353884070f194be3a1e329067a278c850ab9d107d6e06588fa75d0cf633d7ef214e891ebc1b534847f886465005b5f0266f721c9-filelists-ext.xml.gz
> Please check if the URIs defined for this repository are pointing to a valid repository.
> Skipping repository 'home:ojkastl_buildservice:Branch_devel_languages_python (openSUSE_Tumbleweed)' because of the above error.
Yesterday it was systemsmanagement:ansible and another one of my home: repositories.
"zypper clean -a" does not help.
Anyone else having this? Any ideas? Should I report this somewhere else?
Linux Consultant & Trainer
Tel.: +49 (0) 151 2372 5802
B1 Systems GmbH
Osterfeldstraße 7 / 85088 Vohburg
GF: Ralph Dehner
Unternehmenssitz: Vohburg / AG: Ingolstadt,HRB 3537
we'll have an informal meeting of the openSUSE Heroes at the openSUSE
Conference on Saturday evening during the BBQ.
We'll meet in the beer garden (around 18:20, after Alexandre's talk) to
find a place or a table to chat.
Someone  even made a formal schedule entry for our informal meeting:
Of course, guests are always welcome. If you are interested in what the
Heroes do, feel free to join us!
 not Doug, even if it looks so ;-)
I have zero personal opinion what the right openSUSE
default system should be. For my personal usage
any default system is always somehow "wrong".
[Johannes Meixner in opensuse-factory]
If you wonder about what we do, here is an example:
This is one of those somewhat tedious jobs - a minor logging issue on
For years, the compression job for nginx logs has been complaining, but
because the mails were not being sent to admin-auto, nobody knew about
You're welcome to try your teeth on this, if you're interested. It
isn't urgent and not too critical.
I have already fixed the cron job to send the email to admin-auto.
If you fancy taking a closer look, we can get you hooked up on the VPN
and I can add your ssh key on provo-mirror.
Per Jessen, Zürich (10.6°C)
Member, openSUSE Heroes (2016 - present)
We're hiring - https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Heroes
here are the minutes of today's heroes meeting:
2023-05-04 heroes meeting
Heroes meeting at oSC
- saturday evening (while enjoying the BBQ)
- get extracted and deployed from RPMs with a script
- TODO: automate config file with currently to deploy release notes - basically a symlink to a checkout of doc-o.o
- Lubos will do this to get started with salt :-)
documentation (doc.o.o except release notes):
- hosted on community.i.o.o for historical reasons (built on a developer's machine, deployed via rsync)
- moving to another host and another deployment method (rpm?) is welcome
Related tickets https://progress.opensuse.org/issues/128699 and https://progress.opensuse.org/issues/128684
The goal is to simplify life of our documentation team. Ideally they would no longer need to
login to pinot-i-o-o to setup RN for a new release.
Deployment of doc-o-o, which is still hosted on community-i-o-o, would be done by rpm.
one IP did 36% of the requests on download.o.o today, firewalled now
datacenter move to Prague:
- so far, some rough ideas, but no final plan for the move yet
- move for openSUSE infrastructure is planned for June
- fully salted machines (like static.o.o) might just be rebuilt in Prague
- historically grown machines or harder to setup machines might be moved as VM
- some special cases like haproxy might be rebuilt from scratch to get a clean(er) setup
- heroes will get low-level access to the bare metal servers running our VMs
- hardware: 4 machines, 3 with 1TB RAM, 64 cores, 10GBit/s net, FC-NetApp storage (managed by SUSE)
- heroes meeting was raided by community meeting
- currently served by mirrorcache, but this dependency makes it somewhat useless
- users should be able to reach this page in case mirrorcache is down, to find a mirror nearby
- let's serve a static copy of what mirrorcache provides (via wget, with a cronjob)
- use https://github.com/openSUSE/mirrors-static on static.o.o via salt ; wget+push to git via deploy-key
Jungchen, so jemand wie Du kommt hier immer mal wieder vorbei. Wir
füttern ihn ne Weile und dann binden wir ihn auf ner Raststätte an und
hoffen, dass ihn kein Tierheim aufnimmt ;) [Jan Trippler in suse-linux]
the next heroes meeting is on Thursday (2023-05-04) at 18:00 UTC /
20:00 CEST in https://meet.opensuse.org/heroes
See https://progress.opensuse.org/issues/127361 for the planned topics,
and feel free to add more ;-)
One of the topics is a in-person meeting at oSC. Please have a look at
the schedule so that we can find a time that works for all.
Meeting during lunch or in the evening is of course also an option ;-)
The manual said the program requires Windows 95 or better,
so I installed Linux.