All meeting minutes can be found here: https://etherpad.opensuse.org/p/ReleaseEngineering-meeting
## Participants ddemaio, lkocman, dleuenberger,guillaumeg, DocB, RBrown, Sarah, dirk, sbahling
!!! Please be aware that this meeting is hosted on https://meet.opensuse.org/ReleaseEngineeringMeeting
Leap 15.3 Beta announcement will be sent today. Build 91.1 was published yesterday. I fixed one publishing issue that costed consumed 40G in /home on pontifex. Thanks for heads up from Rudi.
Users will newly get Leap 15.3 beta from get.opensuse.org as software.opensuse.org no longer offers /distributions functionality.
How to report issues found during Beta testing: We should use bugzilla (https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Submitting_bug_reports) and also beta testing sheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1AGKijKpKiJCB616-bHVoNQuhWHpQLHPWCb3m...
We also recommend users to use forums.opensuse.org which is relatively active.
5 features left in progress for CtLG (two of them related to way how packages for HPC are built) Libreoffice was finally unforked from Leap!
Migration seems good, tested twice on my 15.3 Beta
We have found a librepo maintainer (blocks OPENSUSE-18), also libmodulemd (was blocking createrepo_c unification).
I still need to publish some more release notes entries regarding CtLG changes (kernel is to be merged, vendor equality is pending etc ...)
I got additional text data for KDE and Xfce for 15.3 Feature page.
todo: investigate do and don'ts for translation related tasks in Leap 15.3 (re-use of binaries from SLE). I already have a discussion with sbrabec.
## openSUSE Tumbleweed
* glibc 2.33 is in Tumbleweed, i586 is having issues; a patch is already in Staging and should go in soon. It is not clear yet, if we will need again a fill rebuild (but very likely we do) * YaST stack update caused quite a bit of headaches, but is now under control thanks to the efforts of the YaST team. * Kernel 5.11 is ready for checkin; will be delivered out this week * selinux can be enabled during the installation phase; Default will be set to 'permissive' * GNOME 40.beta is ready in the GNOME:Next repo (UI changes, dock now at the bottom; TW will see it end in March/April timeframe if nothing bad comes up) * GCC11 as the default compiler is being tested in a Staging
## Richard (Kubic/TW MicroOS)
New co-maintainers would be still appreciated for the following packages: podman, conmon, libcontainers-common, cri-o, katacontainers*, buildah. Please join the email@example.com mailinglist and state your intentions to help out, or even better, just send package submissions.
Working on integrating changes to enable DNF transactional-updates as an option for MicroOS and possibly the default for MicroOS Desktop. Pending YaST changes.
MicroOS for Rock64 Image still in in testing NVIDIA Jetson Nano purchase pending, sponsored by SUSE
SELinux-by-default tests reviewed, changes still required, WIP
Research into checksumming entire filesystems proving fruitful, found legitimate issues with some filesystem cloning tools, still looking into ways of smoothly integrating it into MicroOS/Kubic.
Cleanup of containers: seems like there is a bot obsoleting certain containers on bi-weekly/weekly basis? botmaster/container cleaner.
* Added `Provides: dup-vendor-relax(suse)` to -release package since the discussion on bsc#1182629 * Initial setup for cumulate mode not working (bsc#1182696, bsc#1182698 related), added Preinstall: rpm-config-SUSE to Backports prjconf(it should add to SUSE:SLE-15-SP3:GA prjconf IMO) * Added opensuse-welcome to the media since patterns changes * `Boot from hard disk` via media bootmenu fails to work http://bugzilla.opensuse.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1182891 * Rebuild yast2-firstboot in Leap due to is_opensuse macro https://bugzilla.suse.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1182838
Publishing is weird, we're waiting for new build to be published we have temporarily set "set -x" to the publish_distro so we can see why the tree is not in sync with with DVD after "initial publish". The first run must got some problem while thru repo/oss, the next run then gets skipped because isos were already published. (Max feel free to rewrite my comment).
live images get published into dvd-area which is probably a bug too (this is wrong also on ftp-stage). Adrian: Adrian will check. We'll see if we keep it this way or will change that back. Lubos will then inform mirrors@. Live images will be published as rest of appliances. This is the current strategy. Lubos will check how is it with rsync can we actually do it this way ... after GA. Guillaume: keep in mind live images will be updated after the release, so likely better to keep it separated
## Guillaume - Arm
Tumbleweed: * arm-trusted-firmware reached Factory. This will allow to fix the build of MicroOS images for Rock64 and to get rid of some Contrib projects in OBS. We are just waiting for an update of u-boot (Staging:C) to build against arm-trusted-firmware package by default in Tumbleweed. * Evaluating the option to enable in-kernel Memory Tagging Extension (MTE) support via KASAN for aarch64 in kernel-debug. E-mail sent to openSUSE kernel mailing list to get some feedback in parallel to my tests.
Leap 15.3 ARM: * aarch64: bug in grub: https://bugzilla.suse.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1182776 * Armv7: Still a huge backlog for armv7 in OBS. More build power to build armv7 would be very useful. openQA setup still needs to be done but this is blocked by the lack of a proper :ToTest repo with FTP tree and NET ISO.
Lubos sent the openSUSE step announcement to people who left their email contact in the openSUSE ARM Usecases survey
WSL: Stalled: WIP to have WSL on aarch64 on https://build.opensuse.org/project/show/home:Guillaume_G:WSL The goal is to have WSL-DistroLauncher package built for aarch64. Help welcomed. SUSE is currently interviewing candidates for the WSL Engineering post. So far Jeff is still the only person working on the Engineering efforts (native kiwi support, and some current WSL build blockers on SLE).
## Michel ppc64le Michel was not present today
## Sarah - s390x
* ntp, uwsgi and sisctrl buildable again * Sergio has fixed openSUSE Leap test issue * Enablement for s390x of LuaJIT as PR available: https://github.com/LuaJIT/LuaJIT/pull/631 (Pending)
## Doug * Leap 15.3 * Beta & CTLG articles coordinated for release today at 15:00 UTC. get.o.o change to beta at 12:00 UTC * Marketing workgroup * Today (03.03) at 18:00 UTC on https://meet.opensuse.org/153marketing - * Collect ideas on https://etherpad.opensuse.org/p/153wg * openSUSE Conference * Need Keynote * CfP open until May 4 * Dates June 18- 20 or early July. * https://demo.venueless.events/ * GSoC application needed some refinement based on feedback * Sprint tomorrow (04.03) at 18:30 UTC * https://meet.opensuse.org/websprints * https://etherpad.opensuse.org/p/websprints
Installfest.cz event is happening this weekend. Lubos will have short ad-hoc lightning talk about what's new in 15.3 Beta.
Lubos to share outcome of SUSE and Rancher Community + openSUSE Community communication internal workshop that happened last Wednesday. I received approval from SUSE PM to pass over all information (just need to strip employee names from ideas). I have the raw sheet. I'll try to send it by today.
Further work on openSUSE:Step bootstrapping. Finally have "emacs" and "xorg-x11-server" built, using a couple of backports. A lot of fails all over the place. https://bugzilla.suse.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1182946 - Packagehub/backports issue breaking image build
TTM setup and publishing hooks implementation still to be done.
Adrian: I'm bit unsure regarding the ftp-tree. We have a build now but I'm still not sure where to publish. Adrian: two options ... Dirk: we could have something publishable within 4 weeks. Migration, testing are still far away. Gerald: if it's a resource issue make sure that Vojtech knows about this this week (cc Gerald). Lubos will reach out to Vojtech regarding the SLE help on the x86 side.
OBS blacklist: no progress. Adrian would like to "strip" it down. Hopefully some update by next week.
## Gerald or any Board representative
A warm welcome to our New treasurer! Syds Bearda! Big thank you to the previous treasurer Andrew Wafaa
## Wolfgang (Package Hub), Scott Bahling
- problem with scotch:serial (conflict with metis-devel from WE) addressed and it is planned to remove metis-devel from Workstation Extension (scotch:serial is needed to build other HPC packages in Backports/Leap) - still some updates for packages in SLE in the pipeline.
Discussion with fcrozat on whitelisting conflict vs removing package from WE. There is some activity, so the effort is not stalled. The remaining question is "is this safe to whitelist for filesystem conflict".
## Adrian - CtLG or openSUSE Step
The last part which is missing is the patchinfo. This blocks zypper patch usecase. zypper up works as expected. We would need to have a maintenance incident for every update, which is not the case. So we have to reconstruct this somehow.
Adrian: keep the location as it is, release it to dir that has to be defined. And keep all :Images refreshing after GA (not /images).
Lubos will ask SUMA people if they would be willing to help. Discussion about openSUSE Step happens in between Adrian, Gerald, and Dirk