On May 26, 2010, at 3:00 AM, Andreas Jaeger <aj(a)novell.com> wrote:
michl and myself are currently working on the M7 release. Below is
a copy &
paste of the current text. I'm off for lunch now and wanted to get
feedback. Please send your comments on opensuse-marketing or join
myself on freenode IRC channel #opensuse-marketing.
openSUSE 11.3 Milestone 7: Preparing for RC Phase
Milestone 7, a snapshot of the Factory “work in progress” build,
leading up to
openSUSE 11.3 release in July, is now available for download.
M7 is the second release of the “Stablizing Freeze” and last
next release will be RC1 on June 17th.
openSUSE 11.3 Progress
Compared to M6, this milestone brings many bug fixes, an update to
kernel 2.6.34 and the integration of translations and new artwork.
We plan to include in openSUSE 11.3 the following highlights:
* Netbook support with both Moblin and KDE
Hasn't the Moblin project renamed to MeeGo?
- James Mason, 'bear454'
* Btrfs support in the installer
* The zypper package management command line client has seen
o If a package gets removed, dependencies needed only by this
package can get removed as well (option –clean-deps)
o Package selection code has been enhanced to support the
syntax for use with in/up/rm commands: [+/-]
o zypper will notify about updates with vendor change (from
* Nouveau driver for Nvidia graphic cards is integrated
* File sharing with SpiderOak
* Great desktop experience with GNOME 2.30, KDE 4.4, LXDE 0.5.5,
4.6.1. LXDE has been newly integrated and is part of the DVD media.
* On demand package installation in KDE, for e.g. debug info
* Imagewriter tool to copy ISO images to an USB stick
* Updated distribution with new upstream packages
Testing! Testing! Testing!
As this is a milestone and not a final release, 11.3 M7 does contain
known and unknown, but should not stand between courageous
The following annoyances have already been reported:
* Firefox crashes at start Bug #608087 – workaround: update gtk2
new version from the GNOME factory repo
* The x86_64 NET Install CD had a garbled screen for an NVidia
7150M graphics adapter. The workaround is to add “brokenmodules=nouv
the Boot Options line.
* LXDM always start default session Bug #607868
for the current list.
What are you waiting for? Grab the milestone release from
Andreas Jaeger, Program Manager openSUSE, aj@
Twitter: jaegerandi | Identica: jaegerandi
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, GF: Markus Rex, HRB 16746 (AG Nürnberg)
Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany
GPG fingerprint = 93A3 365E CE47 B889 DF7F FED1 389A 563C C272
To unsubscribe, e-mail: opensuse-factory+unsubscribe(a)opensuse.org
For additional commands, e-mail: opensuse-factory+help(a)opensuse.org