Closing the Leap Gap - Weekly Update
All meeting minutes can be found here:
New Meeting location: https://meet2.opensuse.org/ClosingTheLeapGap
(Friday 11:30 CEST)
!!! PLEASE BE AWARE THAT THE SESSION WAS MOVED TO
Attendees (please add yourself): michel, lkocman, fcrozat, maxlin,
adrian, wengel (left at noon), meissner, rommel, snbarth, behlert,
1.0 Project plan:
3.0 Priority items and blockers
- Jump to SLE
- pending work on Autobuild/SCC side. There was CPE discussion
- Submission is linking
- Jump doesn't
install on bare metal ppc64le
* Maintenance setup for Jump/Leap 15.2.1
- Geolocation limits for SUSE signed rpms (ECR). To be confirmed with
* To agree on what can be delivered by end of October
List of features marked as "DeveloperProgram"
JUMP related work is tracked here
4.0 Updates from individual teams
4.1 openSUSE Leap Release Management
Owner: Lubos Kocman
Pending review of policy documents in
Jump to SLE 15 SP2 prior October "release". Still pending will be done
I suppose this is now done. Yes?
* s390x still looking for openSUSE Jump / Leap rel-eng
Wolfgang might be interested?
* topic non-SUSE Employee as a "project maintainer" currently discussed
with Autobuild and PM
**News: we'll have a weekly review meeting with screen-sharing for all
openSUSE Leap Feature requests on Mondays 13:30 - 13:50 UTC | 15:30-
15:50 CEST @ https://meet.opensuse.org/FeatureRequests
Everybody is welcome to join!**
Neal Gompa is currently the only member who will have access. We'll
slowly enroll access to more users once we're up and running.
4.2. openSUSE Leap Release Engineering
Owner: Max Lin, Guillaume, Michel
* bootloader_uefi test fail has been fixed after switch to booting with
SLE firmware https://progress.opensuse.org/issues/69832
* Updated the medium name to 15.2.1 everywhere to match the naming
ftp-tree-builds are now working fine. We had an issue that we were not
able to finish ftp-tree-build Friday-Tuesday.
Issues with publishing ftp-stage media were out of date.
Adrian reverted the change which expected images to have 15.2.1 naming
Do we want to have Update-test for Maintenance? Max did create
Marcus: I can have a look at this if you give me list of project names
Jump 15.2.1 bump happened - We will keep 15.2 for services which may
otherwise have issues with the 15.2.1 version.
* FPC will be updated again in 15.2:Update with a fix for some
* VLC is missing on aarch64:
184.108.40.206 pushed to
* 32-bit ARMv7: Lubos to talk to PM. Meanwhile Guillaume will drive
the planning effort
Rudi: there is only one single box in IBS that can do ARM-32bit so
there would be veto from Autobuild team.
Adrian: it would have to be done retrospectively for SP0.
Adrian: either we have to rebuild SLE as it's inherited or simplify it
and risk the different build results. Or simply fork Factory.
Rudi: Ports for Jump? e.g. for RISC-V in the future.
Lubos will make sure that Guillaume has access to survey.opensuse.org
so we can ask our Users what's their usecases for 32bit ARM.
ppc64le not working on bare metal
I just created a
docker_runc test failed for ppc64le
docker-19.03.11_ce-lp152.1.4.ppc64le for Leap15.2 update not present
java test failure https://bugzilla.opensuse.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1172584
java-1_8_0-openjdk-devel-220.127.116.11 for Leap15.2 not present in Jump15.2
I need more investigation for aarch64 failure.
podman issue: the openqa/registry differences
^ command 'podman pull
ers/opensuse/leap:Jump:15.2' failed , 1) once we had the container
images then we will know the right path 2) Jump:15.2 here is VERSION
variable on openQA, we need to correct it in the openqa test
just created issue https://progress.opensuse.org/issues/71902
Max: Michel can you please get me the link for systemd-network issue?
Let's get a list of packages that have to be rebuild in Jump as they
still contain branding (should not be that many). These packages should
have a CtLG Feature requests in jira.suse.com
. Still pending
lkocman: to open task in progress-o-o
Adrian already re-published project manually but there is still some
work left to have it "implemented". Still pending. Lubos: to check o
the opensuse-admin issue.
4.3 SLE Release Management
Owner: Alex Herzig, Stefan Weiberg
Lubos will have to fork all packages which had CtLG changes implemented
in 15.3, as Jump is build on top of 15 SP2 Updates which will not have
these changes available.
Owner: Rüdiger Oertel Adrian Schroeter
^ Is resolved by Adrian. openSUSE Jump project needs to be made as part
of the official Product list in OBS.
Adrian: Marco has finished the version for the request cloning.
SLE requested triggered by openSUSE community (request comes from
Marcus mentioned that user employees should not be trackable.
For embargoed issues it would be a topic, but if it's coming from
outside, that's not really issues.
We need to make sure that users are aware of the syncing.
Marcus: none of the bots leak confidential information.
Comments need to be anonymized.
Adrian: I'll talk to speak to Marco to add a text to submission so it's
clear that request is synced to OBS.
Marcus: Single line banner would be useful for our employees.
Fixed the sync to ftp-stage by reverting the iso naming scheme from
15.2.1 back to 15.2.
Do we really need the 15.2.1 number, it's seems to be just problematic
and we do not use it anywhere in deliverable names etc.
Adrian still need to provide SLE maintenance updates in a form of
consumable ftp tree in form of installation.
Adrian needs confirmation from PM that they're okay with his proposal.
Marco is working on the osc packtrack which should help us to see
product changes that happened in between builds or over some period of
Owner: Stephan Barth
Maintenance setup for Jump/Leap 15.2.1
Marcus: needs to know how to set it up, so we can setup announce tools.
We don't have test-updates at this tome.
Marcus: one test project for openSUSE:Jump it's
openSUSE:Jump:15.2.1:Update. we're currently blocked on repo-layout
decision, which is blocked on geo-location/ECR.
Backports are currently the best effort for Updates. We might need to
Lubos and Woflgang will create documentation about handling Backports
submit requests until next Friday. This is currently gray area for
openSUSE release team.
The current way we think is that we would aggregate updates from SLE,
openSUSE Backports and Jump for any branding/pattern/000*
changes. This could be perhaps then aggregated to a single repository,
so user does not end up with subscribing to 3 different repositories.
Marcus: the backports parts seem to be weird, because the backports
repo has a lower quality.
Marcus is currently concerned about quality of the backports as there
is no openQA
Marcus agrees on the mini-interlock idea currently aiming signoff to
mid of October 2020.
Stefan is fine with mini interlock proposal as well.
Owner: Marcus Meissner
No security concerns at this moment.
Secure boot: will we use SUSE signed bootloader, since we use SUSE
signed shim, kernel, grub2.
We will use SLE bootloader. If we'd rebuild it will be a problem.
What about Virtualbox which is is signed just by openSUSE key.
We should have perhaps shim which allows to load both signatures, or
kernel that allows both signatures.
Max the problem si about kernel config and KMPs. SLE kernel has pretty
mockbuild dialog during boot could be an option.
Lubos to reach out to kernel team.
4.7 Package Hub
Owner: Wolfgang Engel, Scott Bahling
4.8 Beta Program
Owner: Vincent Moutoussamy
- All our discussions with the stakeholders of the project can be found
- When and how can we start building JeOS images for 15.3/Jump 15.2.1?
4.9 Engineering / Product Migration
Owner: Jiri Srain
4.10 Engineering - Kernel
Owner: Libor Pechacek
Still discussing options for Unified kernel. Kernel engineering team is
currently in favor of using same kernel for SLED and openSUSE Leap.
4.11 Engineering - Desktop
Owner: Frederic Crozat
New plymouth was accepted in 15-SP3, including CtlG submission, this
should be used for Jump. Other CtlG features are being integrated in
4.12 Quality Assurance / Migrations
Owner: Marita Werner, Heiko, Wei Gao
Wei: zypper issue was fixed so we can test as soon as a new build is
Jump -> SLE scenario we have found a blocker issue. Issues is blocked
on Lubos who needs to fill questionary for SCC/happy-customer team
Lubos to confirm what architectures need to be tested. So far the
x86_64 is the only one which is tested.
Leap -> Leap scenario we're blocked on JIRA feature. We can only give
support but we can't commit to do entire testing.
[GW]: Latest udpate link:
4.13 SLE Architect
Owner: Thorsten Kukuk
4.14 Marketing and Community management
Owner: Douglas DeMaio (on leave)
Feature Requests, Submit Requests for openSUSE Jump Take Shape -
Benchmarks TW vs. Leap vs. Jump -
Review of the landing page for Jump before any further announcements
Consider providing a survey on https://survey.opensuse.org/
for a Beta
Release of Jump to get feedback from the community. This would provide
good marketing material as well.
Owner: Gerald ;-)
4.16 Product Management
Owner: Stefan Behlert
Met with Lubos for the mini-interlock part. Busy clarifying some
details for Update channels, as well as processes.