All meeting minutes can be found here: https://etherpad.opensuse.org/p/ReleaseEngineering-meeting Meeting is hosted here https://meet.opensuse.org/ReleaseEngineeringMeeting
## Attendees rbrown, dimStar, ddemaio, lkocman, Sarah, wengel, maxlin
Leap 15.5 Build399.1 looks good. I believe that we can meet the current deadline and have Beta build on Friday. With only exception on ppc64le https://bugzilla.opensuse.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1208196 I take ppc64le in Leap as the best effort basis.
Leap Micro 5.4 - I need to finalized build/release setup and have Alpha rather soon. SLEM is proceeding to Beta we're usually one milestone behind. Max: media were released to the :ToTest, but why we it isn't moved to openQA, because a config is missing in https://github.com/os-autoinst/openqa-trigger-from-obs (or might just need access to ariel.o.o and create an directory for Leap Micro 5.4), the jobgroup has been created though.
Next gen ALP discussion
Proposing Leap 16.X for next gen community distrubtion based on ALP We're discussing whether we need Leap 15.6 to provide decent Package HUB "freshness". https://etherpad.opensuse.org/p/ReleaseEngineering-20230213-leap-next-reqs
## openSUSE Tumbleweed
openSUSE:Factory build fail stats: 141 failed 15 unresolvable (two weeks ago: 199 / 1) https://tinyurl.com/ysy4nnnz
* glibc 2.37 was published as part of snapshot 0209. Looked reasonably ok, some issues with nvidia drivers popped up (http://bugzilla.opensuse.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1208198) * KDE Plasma 5.27 & Frameworks 5.103 were published as part of snapshot 0213 * Staging:H Ruby 3.2 made some progress) * Staging:L has a few failures collected: * gpg2: breaks gpgme * podman 4.4.1: breaks in openQA https://openqa.opensuse.org/tests/3111982#step/podman_pods/52 * python-mocket: breaks python-geoip2 * Staging:M test to also build python311 modules * Staging:O: preparation work to identify the minimal list of 'i586' builds to enable in openSUSE:Factory to allow wine/steam to build/install (currently 992 packages, and counting; big part of it is for rpmlint and such things) * Staging:Gcc7: early experiments to set GCC 13 as distro compiler
i586 carve-out from Factory => Automatic migration kicked off with snapshot 0201. Last published snapshot is 0208; since after that, plasmashell crashes (https://bugzilla.opensuse.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1208188)
## Richard (MicroOS)
Official openSUSE Distrobox container made (dramatically improving first-start times of fresh distroboxes) - OTW to Factory
Desktop-GNOME: Ready for Release, but not released
Technically everything is working and release quality in MicroOS GNOME. NO KNOWN BLOCKERS! \o/ - but we did fix a bunch of minor things this week Not yet formally released Tests are needed - progress made PR/Marketing needed
Desktop-KDE: Still Alpha, discussions about maybe considering it Beta, in the hands of the (lone) main maintainer.
Next Steps after release
1. mod-check Working on a "mod-check" tool to report the following to users List of installed (1st party) packages, with comparisions to both an upstream pristine list and previous snapshots Automatically reset official packages to that upstream pristine list, or previous snapshots Any 3rd party packages and their origin Any known unsupported configurations/alterations and offer remedies if possible lkocman: is quite interested in this, as we'll be in position in migration leap 15.X to ALP based community offering
mod-check doesn't really 'check' as much as planned at the moment, instead going way further and effectively reinstalling MicroOS Desktop (GNOME) in place, making that new snapshot the new boot target. This will be awesome for any user who wants to 'freshen' up an otherwise heavily altered MicroOS Desktop, or when major Tumbleweed/MicroOS changes occur that otherwise cant be easily modeled in patterns. It also potentially could be a method of migrating non-transactional systems to a transactional one. Heavy testing/development underway..and possibly a rename if mod-check doesn't start actually -checking stuff soon.
2. YaST-less installation media with FDE by default
Bugs still WIP osinfo-db still doesn't recognise MicroOS as a seperate distribution - debates with upstream ongoing
Leap 15.5 * The last 15.5 Alpha build has been published * We have seen util-linux-lang uninstallable issue on openqa(on the last Alpha build) which is power only, it seem to be an bad rpm problem, since power is a low prio for Leap, plus other arch's testresults is pretty well, we ignores this power only issue. * Updated the meta package to Beta * The last auto-submitter round towards Factory to Backports has been triggered, will no longer trigger it since we're entering the Beta pharse * After recheck the KDE staging problem, it was depend on the pending updates in SLE15-SP5 * Build stats in Backports(x86_64): 10 unresolvables, 51 fails(last week: 8 unresolvables, 59 fails)
## Guillaume - Arm
Tumbleweed: * Blocked due to a broken binutils patch for armv7. Will be unblocked by https://build.opensuse.org/request/show/1060656 * WiFi works again on RPi3/4 (and other systems): https://bugzilla.suse.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1206697 * Pointer Authentication issue, seen in zypper has been fixed: https://bugzilla.suse.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1206684 * NVIDIA: tester with aarch64 server and NVIDIA card wanted - Proprietary drivers are now available for aarch64 (only G06): https://download.nvidia.com/opensuse/tumbleweed/ - New opengpu driver also available in OBS: https://build.opensuse.org/project/monitor/X11:Drivers:Video
lkocman to check on who is the aarch64 + nvidia effort blocked on. I recall that there was a chosen point of contact. Leap: * 15.5 aarch64: covered by Leap section above * 15.5 armv7: no blocker
ALP: * No aarch64 specific issues
WSL: * Works with x86 emulator since appx installer is x86-64, but this is not really an issue since arm64 Win11 includes x86 emulator by default. Steps documented on the wiki to install the appx from download.o.o: https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:WSL#With_Appx_from_openSUSE_download_server
## Sarah - s390x
Tumbleweed * Tumbleweed is rolling Leap: * builds and tests are working
## Doug * Marketing material for CLT & SCALE being shipped * GSoC * Still having new project added * Possible mentees reaching out * Mentor organizaitons annouced on Feb. 22 * oSC23 * TSP, Visa article published - https://news.opensuse.org/2023/02/14/osc-travel-info/ * Waiting on contract signature (in legal review) * 25 registered, 16 submissions * Reached out to arm for sponsorship * Taking care of last TSP request * FLOSS Weekly podcast is out https://twit.tv/shows/floss-weekly/episodes/718
COSCUP23 - our attendance is currently unclear.
* Further x86_64-v3 glibc hwcaps enablement in Factory, still missing the "trigger pattern" submisssion: https://build.opensuse.org/request/show/1064211 * x86_64-v3 enablement on some packages failed due to baselibs conflicts over -static packages which need further updates * out for the last ~ 10 days, no other news worth sharing
Biggest speedup can be observed by switching zlib to zlib-ng, so looked into fixing the build failures caused by switching to zlibo-ng- compat
## Wolfgang (Package Hub), Scott Bahling
lkocman: we'll need to make a call whether our copy && update on request basis for PackageHUB for 15 SP6/7 would be sufficient or not. PM would like to see at least 15 SP6 as that is a feature release, but it's not being "demanded". Please expect some meeting next week. wengel: Feel free to join our PackageHub sync call next week (Thursday) :) Could we then invite Stefan Behlert + Marco Varlese + Gerald there? wengel is going to invite them to our Package Hub sync call.
Lkocman: one thing to realize is the 14 months overlap support
## Maintenance team (Marcus or Maurizio (m4u))
Fixed a long standing issue with gnome-music that was blocking openqa for a long time.
15.4 is working issue in config that resulted into skipping -debuginfo packages for NonFree was fixed.
5.3 is working
15.5 setup TBD (Mid-to-End February would be preferred). lkocman needs to do official 15.5 Maint setup request beta in ~2 weeks
Nothing worrysome, preannoucement for 15.3 EOL was sent to mainling list End of December 2022. There were three chromium updates in single week.
lkocman: 15.3 EOL could lead to stopping our physical Source DVD effort, as it seems we will not produce. As this was the last release which you could still get on a physical media. Lkocman: anything against decomissioning it?
Configuration setup problem for Maintenance of Leap 15.4 maintenance updates / openQA Marcus regarding Leap 15.4 Image respin - package set will change, we do need to refresh the packagelist
* Lubos to talk to Jan Stehlik, we can't put all on Marcuses shoulder. https://etherpad.opensuse.org/p/ReleaseEngineering-20221110-maintenance-disc... Confirmation that QA/QA-maint team will oversee the setup (issues) Lubos: I was asked to provide requirements for the QA team. Mostly for the GA/current release but also for the update. Lubos will make wiki with requirements (something like maintenance plan perhaps). Marcus will review it.
* Leap Micro 5.3 maint setup done
ffmpeg - (still unsolved) possible file conflict on the next update, no idea how to avoid vendor switching at the moment. Removing the patch on the openSUSE side (that might contain security fixes) or releasing update on the packman side could fix the issue. Lubos to give Marcus some working contact for the team.
## Adrian - OBS
Adrian: please set the spdx flag for building containers, so every container build will have spdx data in the registry. lkocman: will check 15.4 + 15.5 (15.3 is EOL).
Heads up: working on spdx sbom data generation for containers
After changing the signing key of Factory without rebuilding the distribution "osc build" using chroot builds run into the problem that gpg verification of the rpm's failed. To tell osc to use also the old gpg key we introduced a temporary openSUSE:Tumbleweed:OldKey project. We will remove this project again after full rebuild of Factory. This should work for all arches. Users get additional question if they want to trust the additional project once. This solves the issue for people who build against openSUSE:Tumbleweed/standard or openSUSE:Factory/snapshot. It does not solve it when building against openSUSE:Factory/standard directly (not the default in OBS). Dirk: Recommended solution is to use the kvm build (add `build-type = kvm` to your ~/.oscrc) Adrian: Agreed that we should aim for switching the osc default here (also wanted by security team). Still some issues to solve to make it more convinient.
## Project maintainer work flow Status * Base policy to be developed Background on topic found at https://etherpad.opensuse.org/p/ReleaseEngineering-20221221
For me it comes down to a matter of communication. A note like 'thx for your SR, I think we should adapt the following ' or ' we are reviewing your SR, and quite stuck with work...' could already change a lot. Silence for more then 4 week is clearly a perfect way to annoy contributors. And the question should be asked if those unresponsive maintainers are still willing to maintain their projects. Or they may even not be active anymore, another discussion we are having