All meeting minutes can be found here: https://etherpad.opensuse.org/p/ReleaseEngineering-meeting
## Participants ddemaio, guillaumeg, dleuenberger, wengel, skriesch, lkocman, dirk, maxlin
!!! Please be aware that this meeting is hosted on https://meet.opensuse.org/ReleaseEngineeringMeeting
CtLG update: createrepo_c will drop drpm support in Leap as we couldn't get buy-in for maintenance of drpm internally. We expect that SUMA/cobbler will introduce it via a maint-update. cobbler maintainer seems to be interested in the support for the cobbler/SUMA usecase.
We were waiting until yesterday for Staging:Y from SLE-15-SP3 to be merged. This has happened. It contains some some tweaks required for seamless migration
We have found a librepo maintainer (blocks OPENSUSE-18)
Requested Yast CI (practically just for skelcd-control) but there were some issues with deployment. lslezak should be on it.
Still working on issue with publishing ftp-trees
Missing debuginfo is waiting for a publish of a new build https://bugzilla.suse.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1182609
Text for kernel ReleaseNotes entry: https://etherpad.opensuse.org/p/leap-153-kernel-paragraph
jsegnitz is working on the Security Audit for Beta (bsc#1182319)
## openSUSE Tumbleweed
* glibc 2.33 is in Tumbleweed, a full snapshot rebuild was kicked (for all ports); i586 is 'a mess' (bug reports and possible mitigations are being discussed) * Usual churn of KDE Plasma and Frameworks updates * Kernel 5.11 is on the horizon * GNOME 40.beta is ready in the GNOME:Next repo (UI changes, dock now at the bottom; TW will see it end in March/April timeframe if nothing bad comes up) * GCC11 as the default compiler is being tested in a Staging * Autoconf 2.71: some backwards incompatible changes, and implicitly starts gtkdocize in case configure.ac contains GTK_DOC_CHECK; Especially for ring0 packages, this is painful, as we cannot add gtk- doc dependenices there. Those packages need to GTKDOCIZE=true before running autoreconf (most don't need to run autoreconf, unless they patch configure - upstream your patches!) Dirk: I would wait for the next release, there is a couple of breakages being reverted upstream. Let's not spend much time on fixing stuff right now.
## Richard (Kubic/TW MicroOS)
New co-maintainers would be appreciated for the following packages: podman, conmon, libcontainers-common, cri-o, katacontainers*, buildah. Please join the firstname.lastname@example.org mailinglist and state your intentions to help out, or even better, just send package submissions.
Working on integrating changes to enable DNF transactional-updates as an option for MicroOS and possibly the default for MicroOS Desktop
MicroOS for Rock64 Image still in in testing Team awaiting news regarding NVIDIA Jetson Nano purchase/sponsorship options
SELinux-by-default tests reviewed, changes still required, WIP lkocman: default selinux policy for Leap and TW was agreed to be permissive (yesterday)
Research into checksumming entire filesystems proving fruitful, found legitimate issues with some filesystem cloning tools, still looking into ways of smoothly integrating it into MicroOS/Kubic.
* Disabled python package and wipe its binaries in Backprots if it was SLE-origin and is only generates src.rpm or only python2 rpm * Fixed openstack python packages in Backports since SLE mu#15928, most of pacakge up to Ussuri version or a patched version * Cleanup obsoleted package in Backports: failed and unmaintained * Bump beta version to Beta from Alpha * Preparing Beta build
Publishing is weird, we're waiting for new build to be published we have temporarily set "set -x" to the publish_distro so we can see why the tree is not in sync with with DVD after "initial publish". The first run must got some problem while thru repo/oss, the next run then gets skipped because isos were already published. (Max feel free to rewrite my comment).
live images get published into dvd-area which is probably a bug too (this is wrong also on ftp-stage). Adrian: Adrian will check. We'll see if we keep it this way or will change that back. Lubos will then inform mirrors@. Live images will be published as rest of appliances. This is the current strategy. Lubos will check how is it with rsync can we actually do it this way ... after GA. Guillaume: keep in mind live images will be updated after the release, so likely better to keep it separated
Max: we have to add vendor change config to openSUSE-release package in 15.2 Update and 15.1 Update(if want to supprot 42.x then we should do so too), or users have to add it to vendors.d manually(we should docement it on release-notes). Otherwise zypper dup will require -- allow-vendor change https://bugzilla.suse.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1182629.
Lubos will work on it, as Max has already a huge backlog.
## Guillaume - Arm
Tumbleweed: * glibc 2.33 update has been released as part of snapshot 20210221. * Renamed Raspberry Pi 3 and 4 images to a single 'raspberrypi' (without 3 or 4 suffix) image * MicroOS images for Rock64 are still failing in Factory because we need to build u-boot against arm-trusted-firmware package which is on the way to Factory. edk2 package (dependency for 3 arm-trusted-firmware falvors) is still blocked in legal queue (Staging:adi:57).
Leap 15.3 ARM: * Need to setup openQA to test JeOS images. * Armv7: openSUSE Step is setup in OBS. openSUSE:SLE-15- SP3:Backports includes ports/armv7l. Still a huge backlog for armv7 in OBS. More build power to build armv7 would be very useful. openQA setup needs to be done once we have something to test.
WSL: WIP to have WSL on aarch64 on https://build.opensuse.org/project/show/home:Guillaume_G:WSL The goal is to have WSL-DistroLauncher package built for aarch64. Help welcomed.
## Michel ppc64le lkocman: I think we already have access to the serial console I just need to create ticket in progress to get host provisioned and configured for openQA
Michel was not present today
## Sarah - s390x
* Fixed rpm bug and new Tumbleweed releases * Improvements of tests Lubos: you might want to to talk to our s390x/openQA point of contact (perhaps reuse of tests in between SLE/Leap). I believe it's Sergio. * No approvals from IBM side to fix tests for openSUSE Leap
## Doug * Leap 15.3 * Beta Article Ready, SUSE's CTLG blog to support also ready * Marketing workgroup scheduled for next week - https://etherpad.opensuse.org/p/153wg * openSUSE Conference * Dates sometime in June 18- 20 or early July. * https://demo.venueless.events/ * Shells.com looks to be a viable solution to help increase use (VDI solution) lubos: I know about it I just didn't get to this yet. Sorry :/ Perhaps something we want to add to https://en.opensuse.org/Portal:15.3/Features if we plan to support it in 15.3 Dominique: images will be built in OBS. Seems like our initial image based on JeOS seems to work.
* Calendar on landing page. Planning to use https://code.opensuse.org/ like https://apps.fedoraproject.org/calendar * Status on software.o.o to deploy s390x for TW & get.o.o. to list armv7 (32 bit) for TW and Leap blocked on Lubos. I'll try to get this done today.
Lubos to share outcome of SUSE and Rancher Community + openSUSE Community communication internal workshop that happened last Wednesday. I received approval from SUSE PM to pass over all information (just need to strip employee names from ideas).
Working on openSUSE:Step bootstrap for i586 and armv7l. Still > 200 build failures to resolve including many core packages. coordinated via #opensuse-step on freenode. Very slow progress on openSUSE:SLE-15-SP3:Backports for armv7l build due to lack of build resources and underlying build failures that block progress. Filed ticket for Leap armv7l publishing but no progress so far.
Lubos todo: add Step to Leap project structure in https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Packaging_for_Leap
## Gerald or any Board representative
A warm welcome to our New treasurer! Syds Bearda! Big thank you to the previous treasurer Andrew Wafaa
## Wolfgang (Package Hub)
Testing in progress, ~1703 packages are not able to install on x86_64 because of missing dependencies (some of the missing dependencies are in Workstation Extension) Lubos: Wolfgang/Adrian should we open an internal feature for the x86_64-only WE problem? Wolfgang: Releasing is the issue, not building. We have to decide case by case which rpms should be released or not. Dirk: is there some filter up there? We'll have to do it for ARMv7 as well. Woflgang: in .product file for corresponding release we have a file that (Wolfgang please fill in text, I was too slow :-)
Adrian raised a proposal to reduce amount of blacklisted packages it seems to be too long for no good reason: https://en.opensuse.org/Portal:Leap:Jump/OBS/Blacklist
## Adrian - CtLG or openSUSE Step
The last part which is missing is the patchinfo. This blocks zypper patch usecase. zypper up works as expected. We would need to have a maintenance incident for every update, which is not the case. So we have to reconstruct this somehow.
Finished the SR mirroring tool for OBS -> IBS SRs including the server sid state changes and review bot messages.
Lubos will ask SUMA people if they would be willing to help.
Discussion about openSUSE Step happens in between Adrian, Gerald, and Dirk