Hello Community and BuildService folks!
In our Czech Packagers Team we had a discussion about resurrecting Contrib initiative, because it seems that it had stalled. In this mail we present our notes. Any suggestions are welcome!
Contrib repository ==================
* repository with extra packages for each distribution (that didn't fit into Factory)
* will be branched on each distribution release (openSUSE:Factory:Contrib -> openSUSE:11.2:Contrib)
* will be maintained after the release (security and major fixes only)
* created mailing list: email@example.com - archive: http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-contrib/ - discussion is stalled now :(
* review rules and processes created, not final yet - http://en.opensuse.org/Contrib
* move some packages from Factory to Contrib - possibly hundreds of packages - games, windows managers, tools - rules for selection a) all non-SLE packages b) drop candidates only - best solution is probably somewhere in between a) and b) - packages will keep their current Novell maintainers - Contrib will gain more significance and staffing - it will be important enough for special handling in 11.2 installation - eliminating Novell-only tools and processes completely, everything will be transparent to the community - now, after 11.1 is the right time !!!
* move some packages from other repositories to Contrib - lots of GTK only packages in GNOME:Community (eg. meld, midori, etc.) - same for Qt only packages in KDE:Community (eg. qdevelop, quassel, etc.) - these packages could be moved to Contrib, so user doesn't have to add lots of repositories just to install his/hers favorite tools or applications
* problems: - security - security issues are watched by the security team now - some bugs require fast response, even if the maintainer is not available
- notifications of new package versions for external maintainers (now it is internal only)
- the actual process of moving packages - identify packages, internal drop requests, reviews (maybe do a full review to test the processes), ...
- need a reverse process for Contrib -> Factory -> SLE - probably just get Novell employee as co-maintainer, who will perform the push