--- Comment #25 from Giuseppe Gorgoglione firstname.lastname@example.org ---
That worked this time, and I was able to read them. I'm assuming the working capture is one with the /etc/hosts entry (rather than the older samba).
Yes, that's the one with the host entry
If you have any setups left with the older, working samba install, it would be great to see what happens there.
Unfortunately not, because the TW 20160613 release marked for me the switch between working and non working, but the problem was much older. There was a long period of time (let's say one year) in which the samba connections started to become increasingly difficult. They were immediate at the beginning (as they are now with the hosts setting) and then started to have lags of tenths of seconds. After that, release after release, the lag approached the timeout limit so I started to have timeouts but after few retries I still got to have a connection. Finally with TW 20160613 it stopped working completely and I decided to investigate with wireshark and found the hosts workaround. I can try to go back to Leap 42.1 and openSUSE 13.2 and provide you a report about those. And maybe also switching back TW from wicked to NetworkManager.
Now, I'm wondering...are you running nmbd too?
Yes, I do.
What I notice is that the dns query goes out for nausica and nausica.localdomain, but that fails. Based on the dns server address, I'm guessing the host which is performing the NAT is also doing the DNS. But in both cases I don't see successful netbios name lookups.
I think you got the point. Investigating a little bit, I found this , page 195, chapter "Understanding DHCP in a NAT Configuration" and chapter "Understanding the NAT Device". Specifically: "The NAT device is a DNS proxy and forwards DNS requests from the virtual machines to a DNS server that the host system knows. Responses return to the NAT device, which then forwards them to the virtual machines." Of course I never had a DNS server on my Windows host, so it always relied on netbios for local name resolution...