I worked this afternoon a bit more on build failures and various other package build issues. Meanwhile we have over 4200 packages that have succeeded building, which is almost the complete distribution.
We're so far missing all dependencies behind libwebkit* as it fails to build for both a compiler bug and then running out of memory during linking later. We have worked around both issues in libQtWebKit, which succeeds to build, and the same fixes could be applied to libwebkit. Volunteers are welcome :-)
Some other packages are failing due to general Factory brokenness, like yast2 and its dependencies. Hopefully this will cleanup automatically, but to avoid running into non-arm-specific issues, I've written a script to ignore build errors that also happen on openSUSE:Factory. I guess I need to polish that a bit more and make it pretty print a webpage that people can refer to (not yet done).
Third, I merged the bits we still need into gcc46 and submitted this to the devel project. Luckly it got accepted today, so while the overlay is still there, it hopefully can be removed completely as soon as that version hits Factory. Looking forward to that!
Also, I noticed that some of the packages were branched for reasons that are no longer current, so I deleted them. Most prominent example is glibc. Note this triggers some rebuilds. to have a clean native build, I've triggered a complete rebuild in the internal copy of openSUSE:Factory:ARM that builds on native hardware (not on OBS). Hopefully we then find issues that we would otherwise also run into at some point in the future in OBS. OBS is currently far too slow to handle a complete rebuild, so I try to let it minimally rebuild only.
I've also updated hwinfo(1) to work better with native and with qemu, and it is now good enough to pass yast2-hardware-detection testsuite, which means that we're one step closer to having yast2 building.