Re: [opensuse] Where to report bad mirrors?
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2019 09:20:50 +0200
Carlos E. R. wrote:

On 10/06/2019 19.53, Per Jessen wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:

This mirror is too slow:

--2019-06-10 19:17:10--
[snip]

Whom do I report it to, admin@o.o?

It's worth a try, it'll go to the mirror admin - that's me :-)

There isn't much we can do about a mirror being "slow". Anton
Aylward
has brought up the topic too. Most likely it is not the mirror that
is slow, but the end-to-end connection.

300 Kb/s when my connection is 100 Mb/s is very slow...

Like I said, you have to consider the end-to-end connection, looking at
either end is of little use. I am certain the University of Lissabon
has a very decent uplink, and yours is also fine.

Try doing a traceroute, that might give you an indication of the quality
of the interconnection between your provider and Uni Lissabon. From my
location, I see about 10 hops (ipv4), but the first goes via Milan.
The IPv6 route is virtually identical.

Right now I am downloading an ISO from ulisboa.pt - the speed goes up
and down quite a bit, but it seems to mostly run between 1 and 2Mb/s.
A concurrent download from Nuernberg is running at 25-26Mb/s.
A 3rd concurrent download from a Hetzner datacentre is racing along at
40Mb/s.

4Gb ISO download from Uni of Lissabon -

Hetzner @ Falkenstein - 89seconds, 43.3Mb/s.
openSUSE, Nuernberg - 3m35, 18Mb/s.
Hostsuisse, Switzerland - avg speed 2.34Mb/s.

I think we can conclude (with some guessing) -

Hetzner has a very direct interconnect to Portugal (it does not go via
Milan, for instance).
openSUSE in Nuernberg isn't so bad, but does go via Frankfurt.
For Portugal, Hostsuisse is pretty poor.

The mirror at Uni of Lisboa is not slow. It can easily feed 50-60Mb/sec.
I suspect much more locally.

It might be worth mentioning that measuring with wget (as I also did)
only gives an indication of one mirror - whereas zypper will use
chunked downloading from multiple mirrors, which should give you an
overall much better performance.

Feel free to report slow mirrors, but there is very little we (openSUSE)
can do.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (13.8°C)
member, openSUSE Heroes