Re: [opensuse] How to connect two servers through an Ethernet A/B switch and not change the upstream MAC addy?
On Mon, 10 Jun 2019 10:10:47 -0700
Lew Wolfgang <wolfgang@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 6/10/19 9:12 AM, Dave Howorth wrote:
On Mon, 10 Jun 2019 07:46:30 -0700
Lew Wolfgang <wolfgang@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Yes, a second MAC and port could be used, but then each server
would have different IP addresses.
Not so, it's a lot easier to use the same IP address for the two
machines if only one will be connected at any time.

Yes, I agree.  But upstream, over which I have no control, maps IP
addresses with MAC addresses.  Also, static IP's aren't allowed, DHCP
only.   It's also a dual-stack v4/v6 network, which complicates
things.

If the IP addresses are dynamically assigned, and changeable, I can't
see why they matter, or the MAC addresses for that matter?

I mean whoever is connecting to the server certainly isn't doing it
using the MAC address, and seemingly can't be doing it using the IP
address if that can change, so presumably is using something like a DNS
address?

In which case, why not change the address map so that the DNS points to
whichever IP is currently online? There must be some method to do that
if the IP address can vary arbitrarily.