Re: [opensuse] How to connect two servers through an Ethernet A/B switch and not change the upstream MAC addy?
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2019 20:01:07 +0200
Lew Wolfgang wrote:

On 6/10/19 9:12 AM, Dave Howorth wrote:
On Mon, 10 Jun 2019 07:46:30 -0700
Lew Wolfgang <wolfgang@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Yes, a second MAC and port could be used, but then each server
would have different IP addresses.
Not so, it's a lot easier to use the same IP address for the two
machines if only one will be connected at any time.

Yes, I agree.  But upstream, over which I have no control, maps IP
addresses with MAC addresses.

This is not just ARP I take it?

Also, static IP's aren't allowed, DHCP only.   It's also a dual-stack
v4/v6 network, which complicates things.

Presumably you have DHCP clients on your primary ond your standby?
That's fine, but if you can't reserve one fixed address, that makes a
bit more problematic. The dual stack does not matter.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (16.1°C)