Re: [opensuse] How to connect two servers through an Ethernet A/B switch and not change the upstream MAC addy?
10.06.2019 20:24, Lew Wolfgang пишет:
On 6/10/19 9:33 AM, Per Jessen wrote:
We've got about 100 local users
using svnserve, samba, NFS, and direct ssh logins, and we need to be
able to quickly switch between the two servers transparently.
I would say a moving IP address is what you need.
But that would require those 100 users to change their various client
configurations
to track which server is on-line.
No, it won't. They will continue to use the same IP address.

But the well-known IP address is tied to only one of the server's via its MAC.
The
upstream network maps IP's to MAC's, so to have a static IP I'd need a static
MAC.
I've got only low-level web-based access to the DNS system, which limits my
options.

The most reliable method would have users not using IP's or A-record hostnames,
but only a CNAME that can be changed as needed.  There's only that pesky DNS
cache
timeout to worry about, as I understand things.  I can remap the CNAME myself,
but have no access to deeper things.

Regards,
Lew