Re: [opensuse] How to connect two servers through an Ethernet A/B switch and not change the upstream MAC addy?
On 6/10/19 9:33 AM, Per Jessen wrote:
We've got about 100 local users
using svnserve, samba, NFS, and direct ssh logins, and we need to be
able to quickly switch between the two servers transparently.
I would say a moving IP address is what you need.

But that would require those 100 users to change their various client
configurations
to track which server is on-line.  You know how users are, imagine the chaos!
Most
of them are Windows users too!

A CNAME pointing to the active server would work, except for the stale cache
time.
I may have to fiddle around with this option, it would be much cleaner to have
both
servers connected with their own IP addresses and hostnames, then do the
switching
by changing the CNAME hostname.  Scheduled switches could happen at night,
unscheduled failures maybe could be tolerated until the DNS cache times out.

Regards,
Lew