Re: [opensuse] How to connect two servers through an Ethernet A/B switch and not change the upstream MAC addy?
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2019 18:33:26 +0200
Lew Wolfgang wrote:

On 06/10/2019 12:35 AM, Per Jessen wrote:
Lew Wolfgang wrote:

Hi Folks,

I've got an interesting network configuration problem that I'd
like to run by you all.

At this time I've got a server that connects to a switch at 1GbE
over Cat-6 copper with RJ-45 connections. I don't have admin
rights on the switch and it uses MAC address authentication
to turn on the port.

The server is rather important and contains about 400-TB of
data in multiple RAID-6 arrays.  I've received authorization
to purchase a second "mirror" server to act as a warm spare.
They will have a private 192.168 subnet via second Ethernet
ports, maybe 10GbE, to synchronize the data on a regular
basis between the servers.
So not a hot standby, more like a backup copy, but always fairly
recent?

Yes, maybe sync the deltas from the active box to the standby every
six hours or so?  Maybe even daily would work okay.

Much depends on the purpose of the standby - how up-to-date the
information has to be.

Yes, a second MAC and port could be used, but then each server
would have different IP addresses.

Not necessarily - as in a high-availability setup, you could assign a
2nd IP address that moves between the primary and the standby. So you
might have 192.168.123.1 (primary) and 192.168.123.2 (standby) and
192.168.123.99 as server address.

We've got about 100 local users
using svnserve, samba, NFS, and direct ssh logins, and we need to be
able to quickly switch between the two servers transparently.

I would say a moving IP address is what you need.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (17.4°C)
http://www.cloudsuisse.com/ - your owncloud, hosted in Switzerland.