Re: pin was: [opensuse] Help locating text file in remote repository
On 10/06/2019 17.06, Dave Howorth wrote:
On Mon, 10 Jun 2019 12:47:44 +0200

One tidbit more: you can copy that ARCHIVE.gz file to
"/var/lib/pin/ARCHIVES.gz" and that way the "pin" command can work.
Although I have never tested it in TW.

I got curious about the pin command.

It seems it's not installed on my system and cnf tells me it's in a
non-standard repository. Furthermore, I can't find any online
documentation for it.

$ cnf pin

The program 'pin' can be found in the following packages:
* pin [ path: /usr/bin/pin, repository: zypp (repo-oss) ]
* pin [ path: /usr/bin/pin, repository: zypp (repo-update) ]

So now my interest is really piqued :)

Why is such an apparently useful command hidden in such an odd place,

But that is the standard repository, the oss repository. It is not
hidden, just not installed by default anymore.

and is there any documentation that explains its capabilities etc
available online without installing it?

It is just a shell script. 472 lines, so it is simple. And 75 of those
are the changelog.

It is an "ancient" script, goes back to 2001 at least.

What it does is simple: first it queries rpm to see if the file is
installed already (rpm -qi, ql), and if not it greps the list of files
that comes in the DVD, ie the ARCHIVES.gz file that comes on the DVD. If
the file is not present, it asks for the DVD to copy it.

Nowdays it is more useful to copy the file from the upstream server
instead, but this has to be done manually.

But the tool is older than the existence of various repositories, thus
its capabilities are thus limited. The newer tool "webpin" is a
wonderful tool that searches *all* repositories, but it depends on an
external server that does the actual search, but this server is
basically dead.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.