pin was: [opensuse] Help locating text file in remote repository
On Mon, 10 Jun 2019 12:47:44 +0200

One tidbit more: you can copy that ARCHIVE.gz file to
"/var/lib/pin/ARCHIVES.gz" and that way the "pin" command can work.
Although I have never tested it in TW.

I got curious about the pin command.

It seems it's not installed on my system and cnf tells me it's in a
non-standard repository. Furthermore, I can't find any online
documentation for it.

$ cnf pin

The program 'pin' can be found in the following packages:
* pin [ path: /usr/bin/pin, repository: zypp (repo-oss) ]
* pin [ path: /usr/bin/pin, repository: zypp (repo-update) ]

So now my interest is really piqued :)

Why is such an apparently useful command hidden in such an odd place,
and is there any documentation that explains its capabilities etc
available online without installing it?

What I do is download both the oss and non-oss versions, unzip, join
one an the other with an editor, compress again, and place in the
directory.