Re: [opensuse] How to connect two servers through an Ethernet A/B switch and not change the upstream MAC addy?
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2019 09:35:16 +0200
Lew Wolfgang wrote:

Hi Folks,

I've got an interesting network configuration problem that I'd
like to run by you all.

At this time I've got a server that connects to a switch at 1GbE
over Cat-6 copper with RJ-45 connections. I don't have admin
rights on the switch and it uses MAC address authentication
to turn on the port.

The server is rather important and contains about 400-TB of
data in multiple RAID-6 arrays.  I've received authorization
to purchase a second "mirror" server to act as a warm spare.
They will have a private 192.168 subnet via second Ethernet
ports, maybe 10GbE, to synchronize the data on a regular
basis between the servers.

So not a hot standby, more like a backup copy, but always fairly recent?

What's the best way to hook these up?

First thought - just a cross-over cable between two interfaces. Or
multiple bonded ditto. That's how we run our storage servers with
drbd.

I'm thinking of something like an RJ-45 A/B switch to manually
connect one or the other server to the upstream switch.  But
then, it looks like simple switches just pass through the two back
MAC addresses, and I need the A/B switch to present the
same MAC to upstream at all times.

As you have funding for purchasing a secon
d server, might it not be feasible to have the 2nd MAC authorised on the
upstream switch?

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (15.6°C)
http://www.cloudsuisse.com/ - your owncloud, hosted in Switzerland.