Re: [opensuse] save installed packages for reinstall
On 06/09/2019 04:47 AM, Per Jessen wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:

There is a doubt about whether the command line buffer will take the
entire package list, I think there is a limit (64K?). Can a zypper
take input from a file directly?

if not, xargs will help you issue multiple zypper in, at optimal length.

Good catch and call from both Carlos and Per:

The limitation is an OS provided limitation on the character limit for the
command line. You can check with:

$ getconf ARG_MAX
2097152

So there is a 2 Megabyte limit to your command line on 42.3. If you exceed
that than pass the list through xargs which will break up the command line
into subsets that do not exceed ARG_MAX.

Given my install has a huge number of development libraries, matching -devel,
-debug and 32-bit packages installed and I only have 78K for all chars in all
package names, it would be hard to see how somebody could have 26X times more
packages installed than I do -- but who know??

The point is you should always check, e.g.

-rw-r--r-- 1 david david 78467 Jun 8 18:31 423install-name.txt

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.