Re: [opensuse] Problem booting 15.1
On 08-06-19 13:55, Felix Miata wrote:
Frans de Boer composed on 2019-06-08 11:53 (UTC+0200):

Ever since I updated my 15.0 to 15.1, including updates, the system will
not boot correctly with the supplied kernel.
Any other (own compiled or directly copied from TW) does boot correctly.
My system is an old but still going strong enough Phenom II 965.
Which what GPU, NVidia? If NVidia, and using only FOSS, the update kernel
4.12.14-lp151.28.4, is broken for use with (apparently all) NVidia cards with
both
FOSS DDX (nouveau and modesetting). 4.12.14-lp151.27.3 works fine, as does
lp151.28.4 with proprietary NVidia driver, or with Optimus and Prime. There are
at
least 4 reported bugs about broken lp151.28.4. The kernel devs seem to be on
vacation since lp151.28.4 hit the mirrors.

Observation: the kernel does boot, it displays messages about an
attached USB mass storage device, I see a lot of disk activity but never
ends at a prompt or other display. Interrupts are still going on, but no
display.
Anybody a suggestion?
Use the release (prior) kernel, use remote login, or boot with nomodeset on
cmdline, or just set it aside until the lp151.28.4 update kernel gets replaced.

Thks, Felix. I have already replaced the kernel with the release version. It works again.

-- Frans.