Re: [opensuse] Install openSUSE 15.1 on ThinkPad
On 06/06/2019 01.05, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
* Carlos E. R. <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [06-05-19 17:59]:
On 05/06/2019 23.25, James Knott wrote:
On 2019-06-05 05:13 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
I would use clonezilla or similar tools to do a backup of the partition
layout, and an image of the restore partition, so that I can restore the
disk to its original state if needed (you don't need it if you use Linux
only).

Then I would reformat it, destroying that partition, as GPT.

If you do use Windows as double boot, I find it better to keep an image
of a good installed Windows, and recover to that. The original restore
system normally will destroy Linux.

I plan to use dd to backup the partitions.  It works well.  I can't do
it all in one shot, as I don't have a spare drive that's big enough.
I'll be backing up that restore partition, /home and Windows, along with
a few subdirectories that have important stuff.

If you have size restrictions, clonezilla is a good solution, because it
compresses the images (and depending on the filesystem, it only stores
the used sectors). But you can not mount the resulting image as you can
with dd.

it is possible to compress with dd also using pipes

Sure! But it is easier if somebody else has done the thinking work for
us ;-)

dd, or something else that avoids empty sectors. Depends.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 15.0 x86_64 at Telcontar)