Re: [opensuse] Install openSUSE 15.1 on ThinkPad
On 05/06/2019 19.43, James Knott wrote:
My next victim for installing 15.1 is my Lenovo ThinkPad E520.  On the
disk, there's a primary partition /dev/sda4, which is Lenovo recovery.
Part of my plan is to convert the disk from MBR to UEFI.

Impossible. You can convert from MBR to GPT. But not to UEFI, because
UEFI is a chip. Or the software contained in that chip.

  Will this
partion cause any problems?  Is it just a matter of backing up and
restoring that partition?  Does it have to be in the same place?  This
computer is currently running 15.0.

I would use clonezilla or similar tools to do a backup of the partition
layout, and an image of the restore partition, so that I can restore the
disk to its original state if needed (you don't need it if you use Linux
only).

Then I would reformat it, destroying that partition, as GPT.

If you do use Windows as double boot, I find it better to keep an image
of a good installed Windows, and recover to that. The original restore
system normally will destroy Linux.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.