Re: [opensuse] How to exclude sites from Zypper?
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 04 Jun 2019 17:54:17 +0200
Anton Aylward wrote:

On 04/06/2019 08:36, Per Jessen wrote:
Anton Aylward wrote:

One of the greatest delays is when , early one, zypper probes the
sites of every repository listed, to check the stat/data of the
repository to see if there are updates.
For that, openSUSE-Leap-42.3-Update using
http://download.opensuse.org/update/leap/42.3/oss/
takes an incredible long time @ less tan 200, often less than 50
kBITS/sec, sometimes with long stretches at zero throughput.
The last time when it did that was one of the occasions that netstat
told me the connection was to mirror.karneval.cz

For 42.3-update, that is a bit odd, but with only four Canadian
mirrors, it is possible.

When I drilled down at those sites it turns out that they don't mirror
much, essentially what is current, and as I'm sure you'll tell me,
42.3 is approaching EoL. They certainly don't have the KDE: and
Kernel stuff that is pretty huge.

That is pretty much the norm. Like I said, most mirrors only mirror
the "official" repos, most don't bother with Tumbleweed and
repositories:/  for instance.

Patrick's idea is still a good one, but there is still the issue of
the probing of a huge number of sites to see how the respond for
me..

If the connection to your "local" mirrors is so poor, maybe start by
looking at mirrors in countries to which Canada might likely have
decent pipes.

I don't know if that's why Mirrorbrain is send me to Asia and Russia.

If the repos you want are not mirrored in Canada, you will get them from
wherever they are available.

But the speed of the pipe - pinging -

No, that is about latency, not speed (bandwidth).

is not the only criteria. The site has to have the relevant
repository and the server has to be delivering at PDQ

For the latter, the size of the end-to-end pipe is critical.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (31.0°C)
member, openSUSE heroes (wearing my mirror admin cap).