[opensuse] Tumbleweed speed
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger.oberholtzer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2019 17:40:26 +0200
I have an old laptop (acer something - its my daughter's old one) that
had the root file system die. It was up-to-date when this happened. So
I decided to reinstall Tumbleweed. Luckily the /home partition was ok,
so I just let it be. There is nothing important on this computer. It
mainly contains a checkout of our current subversion source
repository.

The install is the same as before except that it i the latest install
image, and I disabled CPU mitigations. Same file systems (btrfs for /
and xfs for /home). I am fairly certain that all is set up the same:
installation defaults.

Unless I am imagining things, it is much faster than before the OS
reinstall. I can't believe that the CPU mitigations make such a
noticeable difference. Could it be other install defaults that have
changed since the previous install (maybe 2 years ago)?

The CPU is an Intel(R) Core(TM) i3.

/proc/cpuinfo says:

bugs : cpu_meltdown spectre_v1 spectre_v2 spec_store_bypass l1tf mds

The kernel command line is:

BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-5.1.5-1-default
root=UUID=be03609a-b2cb-426e-875e-aa9aaacbb5ba splash=silent
resume=/dev/disk/by-uuid/f03be3df-6961-406e-82a7-7bc4deb7ef9a quiet
mitigations=off

I guess I should be happy. And I guess that I am. But I'm also curious.

--
Roger Oberholtzer