Re: [opensuse] How to exclude sites from Zypper?
On 04/06/2019 08:36, Per Jessen wrote:
Anton Aylward wrote:

One of the greatest delays is when , early one, zypper probes the
sites of every repository listed, to check the stat/data of the
repository to see if there are updates.
For that, openSUSE-Leap-42.3-Update using
http://download.opensuse.org/update/leap/42.3/oss/
takes an incredible long time @ less tan 200, often less than 50
kBITS/sec, sometimes with long stretches at zero throughput.
The last time when it did that was one of the occasions that netstat
told me the connection was to mirror.karneval.cz

For 42.3-update, that is a bit odd, but with only four Canadian mirrors,
it is possible.

When I drilled down at those sites it turns out that they don't mirror much,
essentially what is current, and as I'm sure you'll tell me, 42.3 is approaching
EoL. They certainly don't have the KDE: and Kernel stuff that is pretty huge.

I looked up mirrors for ARCHIVES.gz and your IP address (104.234.... ?)
and got the same four mirrors as I listed earlier.

Yes, see above.

Patrick's idea is still a good one, but there is still the issue of
the probing of a huge number of sites to see how the respond for me..

If the connection to your "local" mirrors is so poor, maybe start by
looking at mirrors in countries to which Canada might likely have
decent pipes.

I don't know if that's why Mirrorbrain is send me to Asia and Russia.
But the speed of the pipe - pinging - is not the only criteria. The site has to
have the relevant repository and the server has to be delivering at PDQ