Re: [opensuse] How to exclude sites from Zypper?
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 04 Jun 2019 14:36:52 +0200
Anton Aylward wrote:

On 04/06/2019 07:13, Per Jessen wrote:

Sorry, I misspoke. I grepped netstat output for BOTH http and https.
and worked back from there.

Okay, no probs.

One of the greatest delays is when , early one, zypper probes the
sites of every repository listed, to check the stat/data of the
repository to see if there are updates.
For that, openSUSE-Leap-42.3-Update using
http://download.opensuse.org/update/leap/42.3/oss/
takes an incredible long time @ less tan 200, often less than 50
kBITS/sec, sometimes with long stretches at zero throughput.
The last time when it did that was one of the occasions that netstat
told me the connection was to mirror.karneval.cz

For 42.3-update, that is a bit odd, but with only four Canadian mirrors,
it is possible.

I looked up mirrors for ARCHIVES.gz and your IP address (104.234.... ?)
and got the same four mirrors as I listed earlier.

Patrick's idea is still a good one, but there is still the issue of
the probing of a huge number of sites to see how the respond for me..

If the connection to your "local" mirrors is so poor, maybe start by
looking at mirrors in countries to which Canada might likely have
decent pipes.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (26.2°C)
http://www.cloudsuisse.com/ - your owncloud, hosted in Switzerland.