On Wed, May 8, 2019 at 2:39 PM Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Andrei Borzenkov wrote:
On Wed, May 8, 2019 at 2:18 PM Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
The issue is the removal of the entry field for a domain name in the
YaST network configuration. We have yet to determine why

https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse/2019-05/msg00300.html

Yep, thanks for finding that.

Do you think there is any problem in removing it?

Value entered in "Domain Name" was used in three places.

1. It went into /etc/HOSTNAME (or later /etc/hostname), as $hostname.$domainname

2. It possibly went into /etc/hosts if "Assign to loopback" was checked

3. It was used as default value for domain search list if nothing was
entered there explicitly (but apparently this became half broken at
some point).

Now ...

1. As I already said in this thread SUSE strips domain part from value
of /etc/hostname so this was completely useless (and absurd, first you
add domain, then ignore it). In some bug report it was mentioned that
resolver may use domain name from this file if no domain/search was
set in resolv.conf. But that is covered by 3 anyway ...

2. This may potentially have impact on programs that expect hostname
(meaning value of "uname -n") to be resolvable via gethostbyname,
getaddrinfo or similar. As far as I understand, default was to not add
this entry for years already and apparently nobody so far complained
so it I doubt anyone will notice.

3. Well, you still have Domain Search field and are free to edit it.
You just enter the same information explicitly that was added by YaST
implicitly. Nothing is lost here.