[opensuse] Re: output from systemd timer
Andrei Borzenkov wrote:
On Wed, May 8, 2019 at 2:30 PM Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
That disappeared long ago. Precisely because of daemons such as crond,
mdadmd, smartd needing a place to report their results. Makes me
wonder - how do systemd timers handle the output? Just wondering out
loud, I hadn't thought about that one before.

systemd timer do not do much - they just start other units (most pften
services) so they do not have much to report. When they do, it goes
into journal (or whatever logging method systemd supports).

Same applies to services started by timer. They are just systemd
units. Either they use logging options supported by systemd (mot
likely journald by default) or they implement something different
themselves. Systemd does not support e-mailing service output.

Would you happen to know if the old behaviour of cronjobs/timers sending an email to MAILTO is still supported?

Personally I am not sure that filling up /var/mail/root on every
system by default is actually such a good idea.

Agree, everyone of my systems sends root email to a central account, but cron output and reports from madmd and smartd are sent to separate accounts.

Ah well, note to self - have to study this in more detail.

/Per