  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 08 May 2019 13:29:56 +0200
Carlos E. R. wrote:

On 08/05/2019 10.41, Per Jessen wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:

On 08/05/2019 09.29, Per Jessen wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:

[snip]

Oh, I know very well how to combine "in Linux" dnsmasq with a
proper dhcp server. But remember, in this case, I can not ensure
control of the dhcp server. I may be a guest at somebody else's
place, I may be using Android tethering... (actual situations in
which my laptop gets into).

We are probably all in similar situations every now and then. I
know I am. I guess you're using your portable machine for
something else than I do.

Not many people use postfix nowdays to send mail outside, instead of
directly from Thunderbird or whatever.

Anyone who runs cron or mdadm will be using postfix to send mails
outside.

Certainly. But that's not the majority. There is a demand/request for
removing postfix from the default install.

That disappeared long ago. Precisely because of daemons such as crond,
mdadmd, smartd needing a place to report their results. Makes me
wonder - how do systemd timers handle the output? Just wondering out
loud, I hadn't thought about that one before.

Even if no cron job and no other daemon will use sendmail to
drop mails into the queue, postfix is still started, it's the
default.

True, but ignored. There are people that don't know it is there and
are surprised when they find out. Then some want to remove it.

I think you missed the point - postfix is started and runs, with no
problems, in the default config. If people don't know about it, that's
their problem :-)

Also, I still don't see how that 127.0.0.2 entry
will make postfix fail. postfix, by default, only listens
on "localhost".

Well, it does.

I submit - in the default config it does not. When you then change the
config, it's entirely up to you.

Maybe if it "knows" the machine name is gaston.local.net then it tries
to locate the interface; hosts says it is 127.0.0.2, and then fails to
bind to that address, it has no interface. Something like that.

There is no black magic here, postfix does exactly as it is told. In
the case of 'gaston', postfix never touches eth0, it only listens on
loopback. Of course, if the config is changed to include listening
on 'gaston.local.net' = 127.0.0.2, then postfix will fail.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (12.4°C)