On 08/05/2019 09.06, Per Jessen wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:

I still don't see any description of the actual problem you are
seeing. Preferably with error messages etc.

First post in the thread:

(the rest were explanations to questions asked by others)

+++............
Hi,

Elesar:~ # hostname -f
hostname: Name or service not known
Elesar:~ # hostname -d
hostname: Name or service not known
Elesar:~ # hostname -y
Elesar:~ # hostname -A
Elesar:~ # hostname
Elesar
Elesar:~ #

Okay, my mistake, I didn't take that to be all there is. FWIW, I see no
such issue here. (different situation though, working dns).

I have a working local dns, with dnsmaq in another computer.

Elesar:/etc # grep bilbo /etc/hosts
Elesar:/etc # host bilbo
bilbo has address 192.168.1.3
Elesar:/etc #

Elesar:/etc # hostname -f
hostname: Name or service not known
Elesar:/etc #

office33:/var/lib/tempmon # hostname -f
office33.example.com
office33:/var/lib/tempmon # cat /etc/HOSTNAME
office33:/var/lib/tempmon #

"hostname -f" does an address lookup - getaddrinfo() - which will most
likely be satisfied by nscd. On my system above, I suspect it looks at
the search option in /etc/resolv.conf, then does a lookup
of "office33.example.com" which is fine. On your system this does not
work, as you have no local dns?

But I have a dns in the LAN, just not in this machine.

And currently, for testing, I have commented out the search line in
resolv.conf, with no difference.

So, I start and look into Network Settings, and in hostname I try to
write a domain name after a dot - it does not allow me to set a domain
name.

Right, that's the normal behaviour.

Well, I thought that if there was no separate box for the domain I would
have to write it to the name box.

Where is one supposed to write the domain name?
............++-
I think it is pretty simple! :-)

Time for bugzilla then :-)

Ho ho ho! I'm afraid of doing that, seeing some of the responses.

Maybe the answer is "you can not set the domain name of the machine.
You have to set it up in the DNS. The query about your own IP answers
the fqdn". But that answer does not consider multiple domains,
so... :-?

Ah, I remember: the local dns has no answer for my IP.

Elesar:/etc # ifconfig
eth0: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
inet 192.168.1.134 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.1.255

Elesar:/etc # host 192.168.1.134
Host 134.1.168.192.in-addr.arpa. not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)
Elesar:/etc #

The IP is dynamic. I could just write numbered entries for the dhcp
range, of course. No way to sync with the dhcp server at the router,
obviously. Not expensive enough for such a feature (unless there is
someway I don't know about).

A machine will always only have one name, but may be reached by multiple
other names.

Ok.

I don't think it would be right for our network config to assume the
presence of a local DNS. Maybe the question ought to be "with no local
DNS, why do you need a local domain name?"

Completeness? :-)

I don't see why I would not need a domain name, though? I had always
one. Ah, yes: tools like postfix or leafnode demand it. Specifically
leafnode insists on fqdn working.

But then I would ask: "what was then the purpose of the missing domain
name entry box that previous yast versions had? If it was not to set
the domain name of the machine, then what was its purpose?" It has
been there for decades.

It's a moot point now, but looking at some of my elderly machines, the
domain name was written to /etc/HOSTNAME - I see e.g. "linux.suse"
or "linux-0ya0.site" on some of them.

Right, that is what I do. however, Dr. Werner Fink said in this thread
yesterday:

]> Nota Bene: the usage of the domain part of a FQDN in /etc/hostname is
]> plain wrong

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.