  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 08 May 2019 10:41:26 +0200
Carlos E. R. wrote:

On 08/05/2019 09.29, Per Jessen wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:

[snip]

Oh, I know very well how to combine "in Linux" dnsmasq with a proper
dhcp server. But remember, in this case, I can not ensure control of
the dhcp server. I may be a guest at somebody else's place, I may be
using Android tethering... (actual situations in which my laptop
gets into).

We are probably all in similar situations every now and then. I know
I am. I guess you're using your portable machine for something else
than I do.

Not many people use postfix nowdays to send mail outside, instead of
directly from Thunderbird or whatever.

Anyone who runs cron or mdadm will be using postfix to send mails
outside. Even if no cron job and no other daemon will use sendmail to
drop mails into the queue, postfix is still started, it's the default.

Another question: how can YaST write that entry if it doesn't know the
domain name?

Does YaST write that entry, in 15.1 ? In 15.1, I can't find that
option Andrei mentioned "Assign hostname to loopback", so it probably
doesn't.

On 15.0, when I ticked that box, I see

127.0.0.2 gaston.local.net gaston

added to /etc/hosts. Also, I still don't see how that 127.0.0.2 entry
will make postfix fail. postfix, by default, only listens
on "localhost".

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (10.7°C)
http://www.cloudsuisse.com/ - your owncloud, hosted in Switzerland.