On 2019-05-07 06:20 PM, James Knott wrote:
On 05/07/2019 06:52 PM, Darryl Gregorash wrote:
But if it's not in /etc/resolv.conf, then you need the FQDN to access
anything.

Well, that's in there somewhere, I just haven't found it yet. According
to the files in /var/run/wicked, my hostname is staticXXX-XXX-XXX-XXX
and domain name is accesscomm.ca. However...
Try pinging another computer on your LAN, using only the host name.
Without the domain listed in resolv.conf, it won't work.

Well, that will be difficult, without a LAN to ping. Sorry for not
making that clear.
Though all this has made me wonder, what would happen if I slap another
network into this machine, fake a LAN, and try to define a domain name
for the internal zone? If I had another monitor and keyboard, I'd also
be tempted to fire up the old machine, and see if I could replicate what
Carlos is trying to achieve.