On 07/05/2019 07.02, David C. Rankin wrote:
On 05/06/2019 11:03 PM, Knurpht-openSUSE wrote:
Op dinsdag 7 mei 2019 05:59:16 CEST schreef David C. Rankin:
In the new systemd arena there is also hostnamectl that allows you to set
the hostname there.
You may have hit exactly the point I could not make lacking the proper
knowledge, i.e. an entry in /etc/hosts being necessary.

Yes, I haven't kept up with all the changes on how hostname resolution has
is handled or changed in the past few years, but I have run into cases where
if there is a mismatch between what /etc/hosts thinks the hostname is and what
the system thinks it is -- that will cause messages very similar to what
Carlos reports.

But it is a new system, I did not write what was on the /etc/hosts file
myself.

There isn't a requirement /etc/hostname even be present, but traditionally
it has always held the hostname for early-boot when there are no servers
running to provide it. It can contain the DNS domain portion of the hostname
as well, but most of the systems I have simply have the hostname without the
domain component. (I'd be more apt to include it on systems using a fixed
address)

One of these days I'll have to come out from under my digital rock and chase
down exactly how it is handled now. It's been since the dnsdomainname /
gethostbyname changes half a decade or so ago that I even looked.

One thing that is rather strange is 15.0 has no domain component in
/etc/hostname, but it is included in /etc/hosts, 42.3 is the exact opposite.

cer@minas-tirith:~> cat /etc/hostname
minas-tirith.valinor
cer@minas-tirith:~> domainname
(none)
cer@minas-tirith:~> hostname -f
minas-tirith.valinor
cer@minas-tirith:~> cat /etc/os-release
NAME="openSUSE Leap"
VERSION="15.0"

(this machine has dnsmasq running locally, so maybe that explains why it
has a working fqdn)

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

(from oS Leap 15.0 x86_64 (Minas Tirith))