On 07/05/2019 06.21, Andrei Borzenkov wrote:
07.05.2019 0:06, Carlos E. R. пишет:
On 06/05/2019 22.55, Per Jessen wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:

On 06/05/2019 21.14, Andrei Borzenkov wrote:
06.05.2019 21:59, Carlos E. R. пишет:

On another machine I have my own script hanging from NM that edits
/etc/hosts dynamically to write the correct full name and current
IP.> But there must be a better way.

If you are going to say that it is the job of the DHCP server,

All that I'm trying to say is that you are barking up the wrong tree.
If your concern is (non) working "hostname -f" or how to associate
dynamic IP with static label it is not related to "Domain Name" field
in YaST.

I'm not barking. I'm asking what is the correct place to set the
domain name in Leap. It is very simple!

You are basically saying "nowhere".

I think Andrei is saying it isn't necessary and asks you to show which
problem it creates for you.

In this machine, which is only a test machine, that "domainname" does
not work. That is, if you wish, an aesthetic problem.

How is it related to "Domain Name" field? I have here system with 15.0
and set "Domain Name" in YaST and "domainname" does not work.

I don't know if it is related or not. YaST in 15.0 has a box to write
the domain name and I assume it works. Now the box has disappeared, and
I ask, reasonably, where do I define the domain name now?

It is reasonable to assume that a box in network setup that says "name"
sets the name and a box named "domain name" sets the domain name, no?

cer@minas-tirith:~> cat /etc/hostname
minas-tirith.valinor
cer@minas-tirith:~> domainname
(none)
cer@minas-tirith:~> hostname -f
minas-tirith.valinor
cer@minas-tirith:~> cat /etc/os-release
NAME="openSUSE Leap"
VERSION="15.0"
ID="opensuse-leap"
ID_LIKE="suse opensuse"
VERSION_ID="15.0"
PRETTY_NAME="openSUSE Leap 15.0"
ANSI_COLOR="0;32"
CPE_NAME="cpe:/o:opensuse:leap:15.0"
BUG_REPORT_URL="https://bugs.opensuse.org";
HOME_URL="https://www.opensuse.org/";
cer@minas-tirith:~>

But on other machines, postfix does not start if the host and domain
names do not work. Leafnode, as just mentioned by Robert, also fails.
And maybe, I don't remember, dovecot also has problems.

You still failed to show any evidence that this is due to missing
"Domain Name" field in YaST.

I said no such thing. I said it is due to the lack of domain name in the
system. That "hostname -f" fails.

Setting the FQDN to 127.0.0.1 also breaks postfix, I have a bugzilla on
that for years. You read it, we spoke about it. Postfix people said it
was not their problem, just remove the line from the hosts file. *SUSE
people say postfix should "correct" their code.

So, as there is no way in YaST to set the domain name we are left to our
own.

You yourself admitted earlier that you do not even know what entering
"Domain Name" in YaST actually did.

Why should I know? I assumes it sets the domain name doing whatever is
necessary.

On the machines that actually need it and are on dynamic IP (and I
don't control the IP) I use a script hook on NM to write the FQDN to the
hosts file dynamically.

That's a hack.

So you claim that if you enter "Domain Name" in YaST and are on system
with dynamic IP something will enter FQDN matching current IP in hosts
file automatically for you. Is it correct? Otherwise how is it all
relevant to your original question?

No, I don't claim all that, seeing the responses. I hoped it did.

My question still remains: Where do I set the domain name so that it
works? I have my guess, maybe I'm wrong. But see, in this machine the
fqdn works.

It should be able to set the FQDN in YaST (or NM), and it should just work.

Show evidence that with "Domain Name" field in YaST system worked as you
want and without this field it stopped working as you want. Otherwise
how is it relevant to your original question?

I have not claimed such thing. YaST did claim so. Why else would it have
that box?

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

(from oS Leap 15.0 x86_64 (Minas Tirith))