On 05/07/2019 02:43 AM, Per Jessen wrote:
Well, not really.
I added the following line to /etc/hosts on my leap151 test machine:

2001:db8:4f8:a0:1312::1 jamesknott

Then I tried 'ssh jamesknott' -

I thought the purpose of DNS was to eliminate the need for updating the
hosts file.  Prior to DNS, someone had to maintain a hosts file that was
distributed to others and used to replace the old hosts file.  Do you
really want to go back to the dark ages?

I can add host names to my hosts file all I want.  Will that help
someone at another computer?  My test yesterday proved no.

Also, here's some info from my hosts file:

"# hosts         This file describes a number of hostname-to-address
#               mappings for the TCP/IP subsystem.  It is mostly
#               used at boot time, when no name servers are running.
#               On small systems, this file can be used instead of a
#               "named" name server."

This indicates the hosts file is not normally used, once a computer has
finished booting.  I don't see any mention that it should be used
because Yast is busted.