On 07/05/2019 04.17, Knurpht-openSUSE wrote:
Op dinsdag 7 mei 2019 03:46:30 CEST schreef Darryl Gregorash:
On 2019-05-06 06:21 PM, Knurpht-openSUSE wrote:
As I was saying, it sets that in the /etc/hosts file. Using YaST >
Network
Services > Hostnames. Why insist on working on on something that does not
work, instead of doing it incl. YaST usage in a way that does work. Things
change.

Because Carlos wants to give each machine a fixed hostname, and assign
its IP by DHCP! That should be possible to do without editing a text
file by hand. Things like this are what YaST was designed to do, are
they not?
Yes, but like said, things change. I have a cheap > 12 year old router that
can bind/reserve a fixed IP address to a machine's ethernet interface ( IIRC
on mac address ). Why does it have to be a variable IP address? Even in my
UNIX days ( 1990s, AT&T UNIX System V ) I was tought that a reliable server
should have the same IP address all the time and not rely on a DHCP pool. I
simply don't get the reasoning behind the desire not doing it like that.

I told you: because the dhcp is not always under my control. I can be a
guest on another house, or I can be tethered to my android phone.

I get it working by having a script hook on NM that edit /etc/hosts and
using dnsmasq. Which is a hack.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.