  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 07 May 2019 08:19:31 +0200
James Knott wrote:

On 05/06/2019 10:17 PM, Knurpht-openSUSE wrote:
Honestly, I don't see the point.

Isn't there a DHCP function where the host supplies it's own host
name, which then gets passed to a DNS server, along with the IP
address?  That is precisely where this would be needed.

Yes, dynamic updates.

However, my own question was about the domain name.  If the domain
name isn't specified in resolv.conf a host cannot reach another using
only the host name.  A FQDN would be needed.  So, yes, I consider this
a fault, not a feature.

I guess YaST would previously have added the <domain name> specified as
a 'search' option to resolv.conf by default?

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (5.7°C)