On 05/06/2019 10:17 PM, Knurpht-openSUSE wrote:
Honestly, I don't see the point.

Isn't there a DHCP function where the host supplies it's own host name,
which then gets passed to a DNS server, along with the IP address?  That
is precisely where this would be needed.

However, my own question was about the domain name.  If the domain name
isn't specified in resolv.conf a host cannot reach another using only
the host name.  A FQDN would be needed.  So, yes, I consider this a
fault, not a feature.